1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

arthroscopic shoulder surgery

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by LBBass, Mar 15, 2013.

1. LBBass

LBBass

Mar 13, 2013
    Long Beach
    Just went through arthroscopic surgery last friday for a labrum tear in my left shoulder. I was wondering if any here has gone through this procedure and how long was the recovery? I'm right handed and my band has a big show April 13th.

2. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I haven't had the procedure but I'm a radiologist so I read a lot of MRs to diagnose these tears (and other joint problems) and see followup on many patients. I realize you want a simple answer, but not all labral repairs are the same. The type and size of the tear as well as any other shoulder issues (even if minor) may all come into play, as will your underlying health and ability to heal, so it's a case-by-case thing. The surgeon who did the repair knows most of these details and has seen his/her patients postop and is best positioned to give you an educated guess.

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Moved to Miscellaneous, as this has nothing to do with General Instruction.

4. samtastic

samtastic

Jan 24, 2011
    I had the labrum in my left shoulder repaired and the recovery could as short as 4 weeks or as long as a few months. All depends on the tear and how quickly you recover. Ask your doctor for advice. You may want to ask about delaying the procedure until after your show.
    Again ask your doctor.

5. repoman

repoman

Aug 11, 2011
    Kinderhook NY
    I've had orthoscopic surgery on both shoulders, about two years apart.
    The stiffness you're feeling right now, I'm afraid, is going to last for quite awhile.
    I didn't have to play a bass , only had to run a silly forklift, you know, nothing important.
    I was hurting for a good two months after the operation.
    Hope yours is not as intense.

6. repoman

repoman

Aug 11, 2011
    Kinderhook NY
    ..uuhmm, he already had it.

7. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA
    Do your exercises. Do your exercises. Do your exercises.

This is not to say you should to much more than you're assigned, just that you should do them religiously.

My surgeon spent 3.5 hours inside my left shoulder three years ago. It wasn't a labrum tear, so I can't speak too intelligently about your specific situation.

However, this should encourage you: I was playing bass two weeks after surgery. Mind you, I wasn't playing much, but external rotation was good enough that I was playing without pain.

That said, this was apparently an unusual recovery. The surgeon called me a rock star (no reference to the bass playing, really). I'd be concerned about a "big show" in a month. A little playing here and there will probably be possible, but extended work is likely inadvisable even if possible.

good luck!

8. LBBass

LBBass

Mar 13, 2013
    Long Beach
    Thanks for the replies. this show is already locked in, our 1st headliner. Gonna put the positive vibes out there & hope i recover fast!

9. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    your recovery will only be as good as the amount of dedication you put into rehab/PT