Arthur Davis

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Perplexer, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Perplexer

Sep 2, 2003
    I picked up the Art Davis Method for Double Bass at the library shortly after getting my URB. Haven't actually spent much time with it, but have noted that it employs a totally different fingering system than anyone here is talking about. His system is all four fingers one finger per half step, even down in the lower positions. I'm curious if anyone on the boards knows this book or has an opion on it.
    Before I get the expected response... "get a teacher and the Simandl", I've got the later if not the former and am making great progress with the traditional method despite the lack of teacher. But the four fingers is too easy to slip into if I play anywhere above the 4th position. I have large hands and years of guitar and EB experience that makes this fingering technique very natural.

Basically though, I'm just curious if any one knows of the Art Davis method at all.
  2. Ray Brown's method teaches use of four fingers, but not in the lowest positions. He calls them extension exercises because I supose you've got to extend and stretch those hands. I saw UK bassist Gary Crosby after a gig once and he said always 'trys' to use one finger per fret as it were. I tried it, found it painful and decided my hands wern't young enough to adapt although I'd played electric fretless in that manner. To go slightly off track, I used to use three RH fingers but on URB that was too darn painful also - I just got an RSI type pain shooting up my arm. I'm just not cut out to be NHOP. See what your body will let you do before consulting a sports injury expert I guess. Good luck.