1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Article - Why Finding Time Each Day For Creativity Makes You Happier

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by NealBass, Dec 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. NealBass

NealBass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Ontario
    "Kurt Vonnegut once said that practicing any art ― no matter how badly ― makes the soul grow. “So do it,” he wisely advised.

Psychologists have now come to a similar conclusion. According to a recent study out of New Zealand, engaging in creative activities contributes to an “upward spiral” of positive emotions, psychological well-being and feelings of “flourishing” in life."

Huffington Post article

wilberthenry, GregC, pacojas and 2 others like this.
  2. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Freedom of artistic expression is considered one of the fundamental human rights, with good reason.

NealBass likes this.
  3. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Sounds right to me. Aside from learning cover songs on bass (not the most creative thing, IMO), I've started using all this recording gear I've amassed. Decided a month or so ago, I'd sit down and record whatever was on my mind every evening - whether it was 30 seconds long or three minutes - instead of waiting for the inspiration to create a fully formed song. Kind of like a novelist writing a page a day to keep the juices flowing. So far, I haven't done it EVERY day, but have at least 3-4 times a week at this point. Got a handful of snippets - some horrible, some half decent - but at least I have something!!! I don't see any downside.

NealBass likes this.
  4. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    now i know why i'm so friggin' happy all the time! :thumbsup:

NealBass likes this.
  5. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Good piece, thanks. I need to get back in this kind of groove.

NealBass likes this.