1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Articulate + Punch You Sterile Tone Live

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by behndy, Oct 17, 2010.

1. behndy

behndy Inactive

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    hey y'all.

so, love my bedroom tone. dig my recorded tone a lot. but was playing with a couple of bands where the bassists where running straight into their 8x10 combos (one guy had a GK cab the other had a Henry the 8th with a torn speaker cone) straight, just bass -> head -> cab. and their tone was maybe a bit more round and undefined than i prefer, but they DID punch you in the chest with meaty goodness. i love when you can just FEEL the bass as well as hear it.

i run a pedalboard with a VT Bass Deluxe at the end of the chain -> a QSC GX5 poweramp -> 2 GS112 cabs on top of a GS115.

are there any frequencies i should boost if i want to keep a very articulate tone but also push enough to pound carapaces open?

thanks!

2. thudfromafar

thudfromafar

Dec 12, 2007
    Chicago
    boost 80-100hz

don't cut any mids, maybe boost 2-3khz

3. behndy

behndy Inactive

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    thanks FarFromMud!

and that won't muddy up the tone? of course, incremental increases, but i'm just afraid of losing some definition when chording or tapping.

4. thudfromafar

thudfromafar

Dec 12, 2007
    Chicago
    It probably depends on your EQ and how wide the boost bandwidth is. Mud is more like 150-350. Try it out. :)

Oh yeah, which makes me think. Another approach would be to cut somewhere in 150-350.

5. behndy

behndy Inactive

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    will do! thanks!

6. behndy

behndy Inactive

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    but with 2 12 cabs and a 15 i should definitely be moving enough air to smack people around? or is an 8x10 much more "pushy"?

7. thudfromafar

thudfromafar

Dec 12, 2007
    Chicago
    Depends on the cab but I think EQ will help your issue. You don't need to go buy an 8x10. :D

8. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    You have mixed multiple driver sizes, thus are risking imploding the Earth. Or more practically, your rig might not be as responsive to EQ as it could be. Try just the 12s, but still stacked on top of the 15, and then fiddle. The GSx12 cabs already have a bit of a hump around 100hz I think. Dunno about the 15.

9. behndy

behndy Inactive

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    i think the 15 is similar..... hump....... wise.......

so, you are saying mismatched drivers sizes are akin to dividing by zero. interesting. i actually.... kinda hope that's true.

"mini black hole created in backyard party today. news at 11. if we all live that long."

i need to remember to bring my wireless next time i play out so i can get about 20 feet away from it and feel with my fleshy parts.

10. articulation usually comes anywhere from 800hz to 2khz depending on your taste. Obviously boosting bass/low mids to get thump is gonna be counter productive to your articulation so the trick is to try and find a good balance...

I find if I have enough articulation that boosting a bit at 220ish hz can help thicken the tone without losing definition

thats of course just IME with my own setup but may prove helpful to you

11. behndy

behndy Inactive

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    i appreciate all the advice! time to go through the manuals for my stuff and see what frequency range each knob is sitting in try to implement some of this.

i think i'll have my large rig to mess with tomorrow.

thanks!