1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"articulated" sound

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by anonymous278347457, Mar 17, 2006.

  1. anonymous278347457

    anonymous278347457 Guest

    Feb 12, 2005
    I mean like iron maiden "the trooper" style playing. I dont mean the galloping thing, i mean the sort of clicking that he does, its not like the clicking you get when you hit the pole pieces(fieldy).
    at first I thought it was just a P sound, but..
    Its also on "the glass prison" by dream theatre, and im pretty sure John Myung didnt use a P for that

    anyone care to enlighten me on how it is "done" with EQ and technique

  2. SoulMaim


    Dec 1, 2005
    I think the "clicking" sound you're referring to is the sound of the string clacking against the next fret higher than the one you're fretting? From my experience that can happen when you play very agressively with low action (though not low enough to cause buzzing). This sound can be made more distinct by boosting the highs, or "softened" by turning them down.
  3. Mixmasta J

    Mixmasta J

    Dec 4, 2004
    if you hit the string at more of an angle rather than across the strings, the string will hit the fretboard and cause a sort of clicking sound