1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Articulation Problems

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Bengals, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Bengals

Bengals

Jul 6, 2010
    My band has been recording recently and both myself and our sound engineer are displeased with my lack of articulation when playing some of our faster riffs.

I'm not sure if it's a technique problem or if it's a matter of tweaking my tone, so I leave it to the Talkbass forum for advice.

I'm playing a Sterling SB14 through an Ampeg B2R, my tone is very mid heavy, with emphasis on the low mids (to cut through 2 very loud guitarists). I play fingerstyle near the bridge and would rather not have to resort to using a pick.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. i would start with cutting some sub lows. add some high mids. if you are using a good deal of compression, set it to something faster. instead of an LA-2A, try an 1176. slow attack, fast release. let the peak through and let the sustain go before the next note comes in. maybe even make it pump a bit.

if these parts are heavily syncopated with the kick drum, try gating your bass to it. not completely, just a bit of emphasis. thats how metal bands get the machine gun thing going.

if you are playing triplets, i would advise trying to leave out the middle note. it really cleans the sound up, and if the guitar and kick drum are doing it, it will give the illusion of triplets on bass. ive had someone do it during tracking, then told them they werent supposed to play that note. turns out they didnt. i fell for my own illusion.

and if it comes down to the sonic quality of the record, playing with a pick in the studio isnt the worst thing in the world. im primarily a finger player, but i know when a pick has its place. i purposefully use clank to make sure my notes jump out. i dont think anyone would mess with you for making the record better, and you might have to let your pride go for the sake of the song.

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Lessons, Practice, or Celemony Melodyn can fix it.

And it has like a 30 day unlimited trial. Enough time to complete a project.

4. Agreed with lessons and practice for sure. Clarity in articulation is all about how you hit the strings. Recording bass should be easy (from an engineers perspective) and if you are not clearly hitting it with the cheapest setup then no amount of gear will happily rectify the problem!

Not meaning to put a downer on anything, but a well played take will sound great without any processing, whatever the style!