1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Artificial Harmonics: Quicker Lines, Sweep Arpeggios and Ostinatos

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Brasheron, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Brasheron

Brasheron

Mar 28, 2006
    Hey guys.

I'm really new to this whole forum dealie, but here's my two cents on artificials:
    Steve Bailey's system of picking behind the index finger works well, but like most systems for artificials its really slow. Its hard to get sixteenth note runs past 100 bpm, but check this out. If you use a fingernail (middle or ring or even pinky) behind the index, you can pluck the string from below as usual and also strum down pick-style with no difference tonally. in comparison, the harmonic usually comes out cleaner and clearer than when the pad of the finger is used. using this up and down motion makes 16th notes at 150 bpm a piece of cake. check out the beginning and end of this tune I'm working on called "Impermanent Ink" as well as some of the harmonic stuff in "While She Slept" on myspace: Click Here.
    Also, I'm not quite that coordinated yet, but it makes playing quicker lines a lot easier, and more comparable in tone and speed to a guitar player. its moving that index-node along with the left hand that becomes the chore. but wiggling your first finger is a hell of a lot easier than trying to move your thumb back and forth at 150 bpm sixteenths. plus it makes raking the strings super easy. questions/comments? thanks for reading.

Andrew

2. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    http://www.myspace.com/andrewsheron (you typed it in wrong in your link)

Wow, that certainly is interesting, although I'm still not quite sure what it is exactly you are doing. Impressive, to say the least, I've never quite heard anything like it, although its a little grating after a while. I really dig what you did with While She Slept, though. Perhaps a video lesson or something might help understanding what you're doing, because it definitely sounds like you're onto something unique.

Or, better yet, you could show me in person, haha, I get back to Boston in a few days (I go to Berklee too). Who are you studying with right now?

3. Pete C

Pete C

Feb 23, 2007
    New York
    To get fast artificial harmonics I've always put my thumb at the desired point and used my ring, middle and index fingers to pluck harmonics. With a little work I think I can do it really fast.

4. Brasheron

Brasheron

Mar 28, 2006
    whoops! ill fix that right away...

thanks man. yeah ive never been a big video lesson kind of guy, but if more people are confused in the future ill put something up...

you bet! id much prefer that to the video lesson dealie. friend me on facebook or myspace or pm or something and we'll hook up. im getting back in on the 3rd, but will be really really busy moving in but we'll work something out.

5. Brasheron

Brasheron

Mar 28, 2006
    sorry! garrison mostly, but recently bruce gertz because hes on tour...

6. mattblissett

mattblissett

Jul 18, 2006
    can anyone recommend anything on learning these techniques, I do use harmonics as part of my playing, but wouldn't mind to confirm some of these things in my own mind

7. far out,... how the heck do you do that...

the impermanent ink song is crazy...

would love to see a video if possible!

8. Brasheron

Brasheron

Mar 28, 2006
    Thanks man! i appreciate the compliment! yeah, again, i'm not a big video guy but if more people want to see one ill probably do it. until then search suspended tuning on youtube or google and check out some of that harmonic nonsense...