Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

artificial harmonics

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by azeng808, Dec 30, 2005.

1. azeng808

azeng808

Dec 12, 2004
    how do you do them really quickly? I am trying to learn birdland by weather report, and jaco has a crazy articial harmonic part at the intro. It hard for me to hit the "sweet spot" every time without the sound getting muffled. IS there a quicker way to play artifical harm?

2. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    Quicker than what? Just put your right thumb on the octave of each note as you play it. Is that what you're doing?

3. How are you playing them now? The way I do it is just like Son of Magni said: Touch my thumb to the string 12 frets higher then the note (or where 12 frets would be) and pluck with my index/middle fingers. It is a little tough to do it smoothly though, I still can't get that part to sound right.

4. azeng808

azeng808

Dec 12, 2004
    WEll its like how mikey said it, it really hard to make it sound smooth and consistent. Like there are some times where either the note gets muffled or or sounds unharmoniced. I am doing the lightly touching the string with your thumb method. So is it my technique that need work?

5. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    Well, now you're making me wonder if you're playing a fretted bass, and maybe it's harder to do with frets. With a fretless the fingering of the left hand and the thumb touch of the right hand are kind of a fluid thing where they work together. And this includes the ability to strike the harmonic and then bend it up or down the string. But I never play frets :smug:

Also I believe Jaco played that riff first on the 2nd harmonic then later on the 4th (two octaves up) and I used to be able do that pretty consistantly back when I played that tune...

6. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    You need to move your right hand in conjunction with the notes your playing ie try and (roughly) keep an equal distance between where your thumb is "breaking" the string and each note...this is hard to describe if I'm not making sense let me know).

Also to play the second part of the birdland riff where it shifts up an octave simply move/pluck closer to the bridge.

(btw..Jaco recorded the birdland intro harmonic pattern on a fretted bass).