1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Artificial Harmonics

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Leftybass12, May 6, 2010.

1. Leftybass12

Leftybass12

Nov 14, 2008
    Okay, so I have the technique to get natural harmonics down. I'm trying to learn a technique to produce artificial harmonics. I've looked at Steve Baileys technique and I'm trying that, but I can't quite seem to get it. Can anyone give some tips or refer to a good instructional video or anything else?

2. guroove

guroove

Oct 13, 2009
    Buffalo, NY

3. Leftybass12

Leftybass12

Nov 14, 2008
    Wow, that is a very clear explanation. It's got both technique and the theory behind it! Thank you!

4. Mayers

Mayers Guest

Sep 28, 2007
    Let say ... fret C on the G string ( 5th fret ) and put your thumb or your index on C one octave higher on the G string ( 17th fret ) and then pluck the string behind your thumb or index and remove your thumb/index to let the string vibrate.

Remember that you don't need to fret the higher note just put your thumb/index on where the note is.

EDIT : how I never saw that video ... very good explanation ... when I learn it, it is when I saw Steve Bailey do it, I just practice and got it.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I never got into that and find Jaco's technique (like in Birdland intro) using your thumb, to be much easier to get into and much more natural as part of normal technique! :)

6. Beginner Bass

Beginner Bass

Jul 8, 2009
    Round Rock, TX
    A&R, Soulless Corporation Records
    The technique I use is similar to tapping, only instead of striking through the string into the fret, I strike it at the harmonic point, but cause a harmonic by using enough force but not penetrating the string.