Artificial Harmonics?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Feb 25, 2003.

1. How do you play them? I understand Natural Harm.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    There are a few ways.

to get a harmonic of any fretted note, fret the note in question then stretch 5 frets down, and hit a harmonic.
    So if you were fretting a D on the G string, you would have to(while holding that D) lightly fret right over the 12th fret G to get a D harmonic

this is often an impossible stretch, so depending on the song you may use your thumb to fret.

you can get different harmonics by stretching 4 frets or 3 or 2...but generally above 4 they will be very hard to hear.

you can also tap 7 frets down ligthtly, so if you were playinga D on the G string you could tap a high A on the G string lightly with your right hand(unless you can stretch that far :eek: ) and the note produced will be an A.

so theres THAT way.

then there is the other(and far more versatile and easy way) fret a note(lets use the high A on the G string(14th fret) then with your Right hand thumb lay it lightly down on the string about half an inch off the fretboard(if you have a 24 fret bass...) essentially the distance of 12 frets away from the fretted note.
    so anyway place your thumb lightly down at this distance then with your Right index finger pluck the string(while fretting the A and lightly with your thumb the space off the fretboard)

for a better example, fret the 12th fret, and if you have a 24 fret bass put your thumb lightly over the 24th fret(if you have 22, then fret the 10th fret and use the 22nd with your thumb) and then pluck with your index finger.

sorry, its really hard to describe without pictures or actually being there with you to show it to you, but hopefully this gave you some ideas...someone may post pictures or better info later, but thats not for me to say :meh:

have fun
  3. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I am really confused about what you just said WR.

there are important harmonics above fret 5,7,9,12 etc, and also a couple big ones between the 4th and 3rd, about where the 0s are, if this is the string over those 2 frets: |---0---------0---| rather than over the fret.

that is my knowledge of harmonics, and also would like to know what this artificial business is all about. Perhaps you did explain it RW, but it probably could have been explained more clearly, and seeing as I'm an idiot, I can't understand stuff like that :meh: