Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

artisan or curbow

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ryan morris, Feb 8, 2001.

1. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    what is the major differences between the cort artisan fretless 4 and the curbow fretless four? i love them both, but the local mars has an artisn in stock right now.

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The Curbow is Luthite with a Maple neck and Ebonol board. Single pickup. Active electronics. Nice bass.

The Artisan has a Swamp Ash body with a Wenge neck, pretty amazing in this price range (ask an MTD owner about Wenge). Two pickups and active electronics. The combination makes for an excellent sounding and great playing fretless. I'd buy one if I didn't have a fretless.

I haven't seen anything in it's price range that really compares. Much nicer than my Carvin LB75 fretless, even with the Bartolini swap. The Artisan also wasn't in the BP cheap fretless shootout, I don't know why.

IMO the Artisan is a much better deal.

For more details:
    http://www.cort.com/

3. The Artisan comes with Bartolinis, but I think they are specials, 'cos they dont have the big logo, just a little one in the corner of the pickup.

4. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    The Artisans (B4FL and B5FL) I've seen came with Mighty Mites.

5. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    well, i remember playing a curbow about 4 months back, and then i played the artisan yesterday, and loved the artisan a little more than the curbow. it's only 80 bucks more too, so i was just wonderin the differences. i just couldn't figure out why they didn't have some flat wounds on either one. that puzzled me a little bit.

6. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Flatwounds generally don't give as open a sound as the rounds. For someone seeking a Jaco type of sound, soloing the bridge pickuop on the Artisan gives it effortlessly.

7. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    i am just wondering if the roundwounds will eat a hole in my fretboard or should i go with some quarter or halfs or keep the round when i go to buy the artisan

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    There are a few schools of thought on fretboard wear.

I fall into the " it depends on how you play" camp. I just don't seem to wear fretboards out. And I slap on fretless, too.

Others feel that if you use rounds, you'll wear the board out. Subsets of this group would be the people who look at fretboard leveling as normal maintainence and use rounds. The other would be to use strings that are smoother and less prone to wear, like grounds, flats, etc. Of course these don't sound like rounds and if that's the sound you're looking for, they're a compromise.

Then there are the people who prefer grounds, flats, etc.
    Did I miss anyone?

If you're intersted in what worked for me, contact me via email. This can be a semi-hotbutton type of topic...and I'm tired ;)