Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Artist Recommendations

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bates, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Bates

Bates

Aug 10, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Hey All,

I'm looking for recommendations for some new CDs to pick up. I was hoping for anything with incredible *rhythm* that would make you want to dance.

Any suggestions?

2. James Brown
    Funk Power 1970: A Brand New Thang

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    An Earth, Wind, and Fire greatest hits would do it. Make sure it has "September" on it.

4. PhR

PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Finland
    Chic: C'est Chic

5. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Pearl Jam - Yield

it is not exactly what you are looking for but still one of the best album ever of any genre IMHO

6. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    James Brown: In The Jungle Groove

7. Bates

Bates

Aug 10, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, funk is good. Any funk suggestions?

James Brown is already part of the collection.

8. I would recommend “Stop Making Sense” by the Talking Heads. Great dance album with some wonderful rhythms.

9. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Best of The Meters. Doesn't get much funkier than that.

10. There's this one phenomenal band, that often gets overlooked. Those "in the know" call them "Skid Row"..............................;)

11. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Another vote for the Meters. I like "Rejuvenation" (from 1974). While you're into the New Orleans thing, check out "The Wild Tchoupitoulas" (1976), which actually features the Meters as well as Aaron and Charles Neville. Very raw, funky Mardi Gras music. If this doesn't make you want to move, you're probably dead.

12. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    Some old Ohio Players, Fire and Jive Turkey are cool funk tunes.

The Meters for sure, also check out some Booker T. and M.G.'s

13. jerm

jerm

Jul 10, 2005
    Herbie Hancock - Headhunters

If you don't want to dance after listening to Chameleon I don't know what to tell you

Pick up some Can records too, if youre looking for rythm then Can is what your looking for, try Ege Bamyasi and Tago Mago

14. PhR

PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Finland
    Betty Davis: s/t
    Betty Davis: They Say I'm Different
    Betty Davis: Nasty Gal

Or if those are difficult to find, get a compilation "This Is It!". Great funkrock.