1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

artist sued for copyright infringement of his own work

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by D Rokk, Apr 6, 2009.

1. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
  2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    page won't display. interested to know what it says though.

3. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    google search for artist sued for copyright infringement.. or something like that.. its rather infuriating and a good read

4. that's from the OP's link.

yeah, copyright laws in many countries are not fair, just or sane. they are extremely biased and skewed in favor of large conglomerates or at least the highest bidder with the most hawkish lawyer. this is a symptom. and that fits nicely within the framework of the way most other things are run. and it's a shame. but there is a rapidly growing base of people and organizations that are working to bring about sane and just business practices and laws. i suggest you find, create and support such efforts.

5. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    thanx tasty.. the real kicker is that stockart.com gives 10% of any monies collected to the person who brought the infractions to their attention. that paves the way for all kinds of unethical and immoral people to make money off of the dismay (and hard work) of others

6. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    dammit, that's a nightmare. so basically the stock art site is b.s.ing, claiming that he stole work when in reality they are displaying stolen copies of -his- work?

dude needs to sue them.

7. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    This guy really needs a lawyer. I'm not very law-savvy myself but I'm thinking that not only can he put this to rest and make it right, he can probably turn it around and sue the bejesus out of someone. This may end up being pay day for the guy if he plays his card right.

8. Seriously needs a lawyer.

9. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    My guess is that he can't afford a lawyer right now or at least, not one that will trump the stock art supplier one. He basically said he'd prefer bankrupty over paying the bill.

I also like the angle the plaintiff is shooting, ie. calling everyone of the dude's client to make sure he feels the pressure/loses his job. This doesn't make them look like crooks or mobsters operating a racket. At all.

10. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I think he needs to contact the FBI, there's some obvious fraud going on here.

11. paul_wolfe

paul_wolfe

Mar 8, 2009
    London

+1

12. First thing his new lawyer needs to do is issue a cease-and-desist to stop them contacting his customers. Stop the damage as soon as possible.

13. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    surely if their incentive program can be shown to have encouraged this kind of illegal process, they can be found doubly liable.

someone needs to get this guy to post here on talkbass :). maybe one of our resident lawyers will give him a hand.

ooo, it's been digged already...
    http://digg.com/design/Stock_art_website_with_stolen_art_suing_original_artist

14. crappy as it is, i have to say that i have to take these kinds of things with a grain of salt. if you freelance and do work with the WB and think you're "making it" then i'd say you're on a collision course with reality.

i'm not knocking that, i'm just saying that you've got to realize someone's going to try and get you like that. business destroys art when it's allowed to. always. so getting involved with a companies like that, as what amounts to a self-proclaimed little guy, has hazards. this being one of them.

15. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    The stock image company reminds me of a certain cable company suing every possible entity with the word "monster" in its name. ;)

16. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    that's why I do not upload any of my serious work on MySpace.

17. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Happened to John Fogarty.

18. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    This makes me sick. As someone who has had some intellectual property basically stolen from me, I can empathize with the artist.

In my case I was an idiot and share ideas I was working on for company B and their rep, who was in effect my boss, took the idea and ran with it. No credit to me, no acknowledgment, nothing. And when I question said rep, he claimed he had no idea what I was talking about. And since I did so in trust and good faith, I had no leg to stand on.

Or when said sponsor looks to their field staff for help then uses said ideas and then tells you there is no form of compensation for what you did,claiming it was part of the "deal". Again, my fault for trusting a shark.

Other times I submitted articles for publication, received the standard pink slip rejection and return of said article, only to see my article in that magazine a few months later, with some other bums name attached. Same article theme, same flow, same structure with a few things changed to protect the guilty, er, I mean publishers. So what am I gonna do, hire a lawyer and spend thousands and thousands of dollars to recover the couple hundred I might have made from an article or two?

The scumbags and sharks know that most people are either so intimidated by a vicious attack or are not wiling to spend a years wages to recover a small amount. So knowing this, the scumbags exploit this from the decent and honest people of the world.

I take a negative or mean and spiteful approach to very, very few things. But this is one that gets my ire up! These people are scum, lower than pond scum and worse than a sneak thief! And you know I think they should bring back hanging of horse thieves! (Or bass thieves...:cool: )

To all who write or create or design, you HAVE TO take a CYA approach to everything you do! Dated, time stamped notarized whatever it takes to prove your work is your work has to be done!

And it still may not be enough. There are not enough levels of hell or fiery volcano's to toss these scum into!

The dude in the article had better call the FBI, find a lawyer who will also work on a contingency basis, or go to the national media quickly! Or do the bankruptcy thing, but then that is still a victory to the scum sucking thieves.

Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty? And why doesn't the courts go after folks like this that are not only suing but actively destroying the man's career before a court or Jury can rule? Shouldn't this then also be a crime? And I say all of this, of course, based on the assumption the artist is telling the truth.

The sad fact is, unless the courts find in favor of the artist, force total compensation for any and all legal fee's and lost wages and jail the real thieves, this will never change...

19. I like how we're all assuming his story is true. It very well may be. But it may not be.

20. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    whether this particular story is true or not this sort of thing happens and it serves as a reminder to protect ur intellectual property and cover ur @$$

but what you need to look at in this particular story is that the 18000 dollar bill came to him 9 months ago, he hired a lawyer to write a letter saying he would not be paying it. they havent went after him thru legal means tho.. they have destroyed his reputation by calling his clients (highly illegal btw) and saying he is under investigation for copyright infringement (not true and also highly illegal) they have not taken him to court and he is not under investigation. a single instance of copyright infringement can find him oweing $175,000.00 they are accusing him of 64 infractions that is 11,200,000.00 if they took him to court for it. surely a lawyer would know this. then why would they not have taken him to court yet?

go to the stockart.com website and look at the anti piracy policey, they state very plainly (in a rather unproffessional manner) that they want to take down anyone who is involved in piracy and will give 10% to you if you help them. they also go on to describe a spider they are working on that will track all of ur computers activity if u click on anything there site. last i checked that is called a worm and that is also illegal.

the reason, dancehall, that we are all assuming his story is true is because stockart.com is so blatently unscrupulous that it would be an assault to others intelligence to believe to the contrary