1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Artistic Wall Hangers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by gjbassist, Jan 26, 2012.

1. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    In the process of remodeling a room in our house. Would like to make it in to a music room. Wife likes the idea but wants it to be artistic and neat. Our house is over 100 years old and it's the first room people see when they come in the front door (basically a parlor). I'm looking for cool ways to hang basses and guitars other than just the standard String Swing, etc. Was thinking of making frames to put around them so they look more like art work but still want easy access to them. By the way the wall are plaster. Any thoughts?

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    You could maybe do something like mount the String Swings in front of works of art, contrasting the colors in the art with the finish of your basses.
    I'll chime back in if I think of anything else.

3. Plaster....that makes me nervous. That also means you don't have 2x4's to screw into.

I would suggest some kind of a open cabinet, or nice wooden stands, something that supports the weight from the floor, I may be very wrong here but I don't believe plaster and slat walls can support alot of weight hanging from it????

I'm sure others with more knowledge on the subject will be by soon.

4. How about building a box frame out of molding then anchoring the box frame to the plaster. Before mounting the box frame to the wall paint the area that the box frame will be mounted on. When you're finished you'll have a bright area behind where your basses are hung.

5. gjbassist

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    Those are cool but I can't imagine ever paying that much for a stand, especially when some of my basses didn't even cost that much! Plus I'm really looking for something to hang on the wall.

6. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Or picture with all of mine: Two Jazz basses, a Lakland, a Spector, two acoustic guitars,a Strat, a Tele, an Epi Dot, a Hamer, a Chapman Stick, a mandolin, and an EUB

So that's twelve hangers and a stand.

7. im a fan of the string swing, but plaster... meh.

your idea sounds fun. a quick painting with a cooperative color scheme, frame, and a bass. finding frames that big might be a little tough. might have to make those.

really struggling with a way to temporarily suspend them to the wall without putting weight on the wall. maybe pedestals/pillars/columns with stands attached?

if the wall werent an issue, id see about putting padded little studs/hooks on the wall to hold the bass, and mount them at all weird angles. strategic planning involved, but i see a very abstract wall in my head

8. Yorick

Yorick

Nov 10, 2006
  9. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    That idea reminds me of something my wife did a while back.

We were wanting to turn our garage into sort of a big party room. But it was starting out as just a regular two car garage. Mostly we did the regular things you do to turn a garage into a room. But some things we did for fun.

She picked out some classic paintings (Mona Lisa, Starry Night, The Scream, two that I never did learn the names of but recognized) and made transparencies so we could project them on the wall. Then we traced the projections in pencil. Then we painted them in on the actual surface of the wall. Then we hung the fanciest frames we could find and paint gold in the spots that the pictures took up.

Okay that's a little incoherent. But it was pretty fun and cool looking. Big fancy empty frames hanging in front of pictures that were actually painted on the surface of the wall the frames were hung on.

Anyway, you reminded me of it. It was cool but it doesn't help your issue. Sorry.

10. gjbassist

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
  11. sharpbass

sharpbass Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2011
    I'm interested in this as well. Subscribed. Wow those wooden ones are $300-$400 each....

12. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    :confused: There are studs under the lath that the plaster is applied to. How else would the wall stay up?