Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Artist's rights, censorship, and Clear Channel

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by peteroberts, Jun 16, 2003.

1. read this and tell me what you think:
    http://www.chartattack.com/damn/2001/09/1707.cfm

Clear Channel is obviously in bed with the Bush Administration. What happens when Dubya doesn't get re-elected???

I mean, what the hell does 'What A Wonderful World' have to do with any of this???:confused:

2. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Well, I don't dispute that Clear Channel is large, and they benefitted greatly from recent changes in FCC rules regarding ownership of multiple stations operating in the FM spectrum assigned to public radio as part of the public trust here in the US. I am ofter quick to remind our local DJ's of their somewhat vestigial and tenuous employment status.

The one thing that strikes me more than anything is that the article in question is dated September 17th, 2001, six days after the 9/11 attacks.

I have heard many of the mentioned songs on Clear Channel staions since.

If I had been in radio staion programming management at this time, I think I would have tried to show some restraint and sensitivity towards the thousands of people affected, both directly and indirectly. Many people here in our region suffered great personal grief. For example there was a funeral in CT just last week after finally identifying some remains, so I can't fault programming directors for being cautious this early in the situation.

September 17th things were not back to normal in the US by any means.

If I were you, I would be much more concerned with the ramifications of the US Patriot Act, rammed through Congress immediately after, {Funny how that was ready SO quickly ...} which removes many privacy rights you have with regard to the books you buy or borrow, the music you buy or borrow, allows government to request this information without a court order, and gags booksellers and librarians from revealing to anyone this information about you has been requested.

That is something I find much more disturbing, to be quite frank with you.

3. oh, I am totally with you on that...but they told us not to discuss politics here. Right, Blackbird??

4. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

You are probably right.

However, I would like to draw the distinction between politics, and stating plainly and factually the existing laws as they deal with a situation where, for example, a musician goes to the library, borrows a couple of CD's of Middle Eastern music and a Rage Against the Machine CD and returns them 2 weeks later. That information is no longer protected. That is just a legal fact.

I am sure we all want to be aware this is info that Ole' Big Bro is really interested in.

Disclaimer:
    I am not interested in Middle Eastern music...
    nor Rage Against the Machine.

5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Yup, the first thing I think of when I hear Entersandman is a suicide bomber... same with stairway to heaven....

:rolleyes:

6. I have to say that some of the songs on that list were pretty frickin' ironic...

I think that also, it's pretty pathetic, that 3/4 of those songs were on the 'banned' list... And Slipknot's music should already be on the banned list.. :p

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Well, rent Bowling For Columbine... ;)

8. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Those songs rule. In fact, I'm gonna listen to war pigs now.

9. I find that amusing.....

And that confusing.

:rolleyes: at my lame rhyme. But why would those Beatles songs be inappropriate? :confused:

10. "Clear Channel is obviously in bed with the Bush Administration. What happens when Dubya doesn't get re-elected???"

What the heck does this have to do with anything here?
    This is a "BASS" forum, even here in misc.
    Besides, I read the article, I see no connection to the Bush administration or any gov't administration for that matter.

And you're a little late, that list has nothing to do with what they play on Clear Channel now.

11. It has to do with the fact that Clear Channel is 'boycotting' musicians who they think have written/recorded/released something insensitive.

Not much different than what happened to the Dixie Chicks.

This could affect some of the people on this board.

THAT's what the heck it has to do with anything here.

12. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    That is supposed to explain how "Clear Channel is obviously in bed with the Bush Administration"? If so, I don't get it.

13. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    From Take Back the Media:

Clear Channel Worldwide Inc., the nation’s largest owner of radio stations (over 1200 stations in all 50 states and DC), sponsored the numerous "patriotic rallies" which were held in various cities around the country. They organized, advertised, provided speakers and entertainment for them, and even handed out numerous American flags to participants.
    While Clear Channel promoted these as patriotic rallies, the attendees obviously felt otherwise. In addition to waving their provided flags, they also held signs condemning their fellow Americans - liberals, Hollywood, the Dixie Chicks. They were not so much patriotic rallies as pro-war rallies, and not so much pro-war rallies as rallies against anyone who opposes the Bush administration's policies.
    There are close ties between the company and President Bush. The Vice Chair of the company is Tom Hicks, a member of the Bush Pioneer club for elite (and generous) donors. The relationship between Bush and Hicks goes back even further, however. The two were embroiled in scandal when Hicks, as University of Texas Regent, was responsible for granting endowment management contracts of the newly created (under legislation signed by Bush) UT Investment Management Co. (UTIMCO). The contracts were given to firms politically connected to both Hicks and Bush, including the Carlyle Group - a firm which has the first President Bush on the payroll and had the second one on the payroll until just weeks before receiving this lucrative business. The board of UTIMCO also included the Chair of Clear Channel, L. Lowry Mays. In addition, Hicks purchased the Texas Rangers from George Bush, making him a wealthy man through a deal that was partially sweetened by a shiny new taxpayer financed stadium, which included valuable land obtained at below market rates through the use of eminent domain.
    Whether or not the close ties between the radio behemoth Clear Channel and the president have anything to do with their rallying support for his policies is unclear. If it were a small company it would not much matter. But Clear Channel is a media giant, dominating the radio and promotion industries. The potential for the alignment of big media and the government should concern us all, especially as FCC Chair Michael Powell continues to push to reduce the barriers to even further media consolidation.

14. thanks Slam. Obviously the guy's clueless...

I shoulda posted that link myself...forgot to

15. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Unfortunatley, they have the right to play and not play, whatever they like. Still, I think it's all about the almighty dollar and it's political correctness gone to far IMO.

16. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    BTW, I think it's kind of contridicting to ban John Lennon's "Imagine". Seeing as it's about the exact oppisite that happened on 9/11.

17. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Yes you should have. If you believe that explaination you gave supported your claim of
    "Clear Channel is obviously in bed with the Bush Administration", then obviously you are the "clueless guy".

18. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    hmmmmmmm..... This is why i dont listen to the radio.. I dont wanna have music I dont like crammed down my throat, if theres only 1 station i like, and I dont wanna wait for the music i do like. Maybe XM would be nice though.
    Im too obsessed with the likes of Tool, King Krimson,Cryptopsy, Peach, Nofx, Descendents and Deftones anyway... I dont have time for the radio.
    :D

19. Thanks Turok.

And yes, you should have posted that link. I can't read everything, I sometimes miss stuff.