Artists that use Flatwounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by semborg, May 4, 2005.

1. Can you mention any artists that uses flatwound strings?
    Did Jaco use flats?
  2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Jaco used Rotosound roundwounds.

Off the top of my head, some flat users are Steve Harris, Joe Osborn, Steve Lawson, John Paul Jones, James Jamerson, Carol Kaye, Paul McCartney and pretty much every bass player until at least the mid 60s.

There are lots of others, but I'm at work, and can only goof off so much. :ninja:
  3. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    The current bassist in Social Distortion (what's his name again?)
  4. I use Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats, they rock!

Check my sig line if you would like to hear them in action!

:hyper: Treena
  5. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    +1 on those TI jazz flats :hyper:

Nice to see you around here again Treena :)

6. ben kenny uses does tommy shannon
  7. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Steve Harris of Iron Maiden uses 'em. He has his own custom set.

8. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Cliff Williams of ACDC uses D'Addario Chromes,
    Duck Dunn with Stax/Volt,
    Family Man Barrett with the Wailers,
    Robbie Shakespeare with numerous reggae artists,
    I was surprised to find that Sarah McLaughlin's bassist around the time of the Lilith Fair tour used flats,
    Pino Palladino uses Labella flats when he's cookin' it with D'Angelo.
    Paul McCartney actually uses tapewounds to be specific. John Paul Jones switched to Roto Roundwounds around the time of Zeppelin III.
    UpwardGroove likes this.
  9. FenderP

FenderP Supporting Member

May 7, 2005
    I use flats exclusively. Always have. One of my projects is a Rush tribute and there is no problem with 'em even in that context.
  10. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

Surprisingly, I've found I can get a better Geddy Lee type sound with flatwounds(TI's on fretted basses-Chromes on fretless)than with roundwounds.

I just put TI jazz flats back on my MIM Fretted jazz with DiMarzio ultrajazz pickups. I can't see myself EVER using anything else again; I love these strings! :hyper:
  11. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

Ralphe Armstrong.
  12. I've been digging the Jet album "Get Born" and the bass player definitely uses flats.
  13. Yes! I just discovered that, too. My P-bass with D'Addario Chromes has way more of that rubbery, midrangy, grunty tonal quality than any of my J basses with roundwounds. Of course, it being a P-bass has something to do with that, but I am looking forward to putting Chromes on my Curbow Jazz and seeing what happens.
  14. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    just put flats on my zon sonus. AWSOME!!!

anyway, ben shepherd uses flats and so does chris chaney and justin meldal johnson.
  15. paul n

paul n

May 6, 2005
    Arden, NC
    Well, he used Rotosound tapes on "Let it Be" but that's about it as far as I know. I believe he's been associated with both Pyramid and Labella. I've got a few books with Paul's basses pictured in them and they are definietly metal wrapped flats, and not tapes. Rotosound basicaly likes to hype that he used thier tapes at one point, and word it in such a way that it sounds like he still uses them.

~Paul :)
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Paul is no help when it comes to his strings. I remember when Musician magazine interviewed him in the 80's and asked him what he used, and he said, "I don't remember. I just know that they come in a little bag."
  17. Me'shell I-can't-spell-her-last-name uses way old flats on her 60's jazz bass. Awesome, and very ...masculine(!) sound :D

18. Does anyone know what type of flats Ben uses??
  19. I am thinking of putting flats on my Reverend bass. Will I have to get it set up?