Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Artists who started off promising but then lost it somehow

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by volker, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Hi everyone!

Name bands/artists you think did a very good debut album but couldn't keep the standard with their following releases.

For example Aztec Camera, a scottish band: I like their first album "High Land, Hard Rain" (they also did a very cool cover version of Van Halen's "Jump", sounding like The Velvet Underground), but their music got worse with every new album.

Who else?

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Korn.

Seriously. They had potential, then never went anywhere IMO.

3. Second Coming.

New Radicals.

Both put out awesome debuts, but never released a second album.

4. Don't kill me people but I would have to say RHCP. Because every album progresses backwards; easier tunes to play, less creative, and quite frankly, lost their roots to a certain extent. Their older albums equal good.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Rage Against The Machine kept having potential... then the vocalist would open his mouth.

Opeth coulda been cool, but then Pollybass started liking them.

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I agree- I heard they broke up because the lead singer wanted to get into producing. I could be wrong. They had some very good pop music, though.

My vote goes to The Anniversary. Somewhere between their amazing debut album and their second album, they decided to become a 70's acid trip. What a waste.

7. Most early RHCP is difficult to play on bass and downright moronic on every other instrument. The last two albums have represented a quantum leap in creativity.

Here's one for the indie kids: Pinback. I love 'em, but when your best song is the first track on your first LP, that's a bad sign.

8. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Jamiroquai, though I suppose you could argue that they already reached the height of their potential.

Most emo bands

I don't think Duvall quite lives up to the Smoking Popes...but they're a different kind of band now..so I guess they have that going for them.

Soul Coughing: Epitome of potential sent down to pooper.

9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Green Day... its all downhill after Nimrod...

10. nitrous3a8

nitrous3a8

Nov 26, 2003
    to who ever said koRn, korn is still making awsome music, its just differnt from their first cd. Their music has changed, and thats better then staying the same over and over again. koRns new cd, AWSOME, best one yet, it dont sound like their older stuff, but its still really good.
    U say they have not reached full potential? how bout being one of the biggest bands in the world for the past few years? that not good enough for u?

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    P-Mac, I believe there's some work here for you.

12. Wire garrote, needle-nose pliers, or pruning shears?

13. Are you trying to imply that Yes founder and frontman Jon Anderson somehow lacks "balls?"

You would be correct in stating as such.

14. [​IMG]

Man, this is gonna be so handy.

15. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    KoRn RulZ Yo, Dun mInD ThEsE HaTaZ ThEy Jus JelouS Ur JuS KeeP RaWkiN!
    :bassist: :bassist:

16. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The guy that painted the sutro baths picture.

It's a great picture, but the place burned down before he could finish it, but that doesn't make sense because he was working from a photo anyway.

but, it was never ocmpleted

we have an 8x6' print of it, it's totally awesome, wall sized, in a big ass frame, and ya, too bad it was never finished,

when I was little we used to play a game with it, where we'd try and spot all the areas where it wasn't completed, that is, people standing in places they could never have gotten to, or lamps floating in the air.

stuff like that.

hmm....dave! I used to have a life! I used to!

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Gruntruck

Candlebox

-Mike

18. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    :D

19. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    THANK YOU Nitrous. I now have a new sig!