Artists whose music you know you like but haven't really looked into...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blackbird, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Are there any singers/bands/artists whose music you haven't gotten around to explore yet?

In my case, I still have to go in depth into the Rolling Stones (I was just humming paint it black, as someone has spray painted the inside of the school's bathroom doors in that color). I also want to get into the Turtles, more Miles Davis and jazz in general. I also want to explore early music like Doo-wop.

How about you?
  2. I'm on the virge of exploring a bit of ska (Madness & Specials era) and reggae. I know I'll be delving into Sting and the Police material soon :cool:
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Still haven't delved into a wealth of bands I like. It's time consuming, expensive, and genrally a hassle. I'l like to, but personally, I'd rather spend the $15+ a CD on Bass stuff. Just me though. I have to really like a band to really explore their catalog.
  4. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Perfect timing on this thread... I know that this is blasphemy for a bass player, but I've never heard much by either Marcus Miller or Charles Mingus... My BMG order arrived today with Marcus' M2 and Mingus' Ah Um... I plan on delving into these two a little later tonight...

5. In case you haven't gotten into Frank Zappa yet let me help you kill two birds with one stone.

Turtles= Frank Zappa and the mothers live at the Filmore East.

Doo Wop= (The mothers) Ruben and the Jets.
  6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Every time I go to buy classical music I'm at a loss. I know the names of the greats and have a general idea of some of the music, but I am really lost for modern composers. I'd love to check out some new stuff in that genre.
    Is there a type of bar they hang out at? A "scene" as it were? :D

Seriously, if anyone has any recommendations post or PM me with them.
  7. system of a down, I need to check 'em out. I like the 2 songs I've heard so far.
    Incubus, I got morning view, I need to get the rest of their albums.
    oysterhead, how can you go wrong with that line-up.
    the beatles, I only got the white album and revolver.
  8. Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    i love a lot of bands who are influenced by Bad Brains, so i had always wanted to check them out but never had gotten around to it... then SMASH's comment about them in the wife thread resparked my interest and i went and downloaded (shhh...) about a hundred of their songs last night.... i love em! so i'm going to go out and buy the real cds now
  9. There is a huge progression in style and maturity from the early Incubus albums to the new one ( some would debate wether it is good or bad)

I would also like to get into hte Beatles more, and also Dream Theatre and Bela Fleck and the Flecktones
  10. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Finally; this past Saturday, I added Life to the collection & that completes my whole Sly thang(over the holidays, I picked up Dance To The Music & There's A Riot Goin' On).

Also, I have only recently picked up GCS' 1st two albums...very bad(in a good way) & very, very Sly & The Family Stone-ish.

Have only recently added EW&F's 1st two albums; they are almost a 'free jazz' meets R&B band on some of the tunes(sax guy is blowin' like late period Coltrane on tha 2nd album!). ;)
    Blows me away that these recordings are nothing like what they later became(ie, NO hits on these!). ;)

I really need more Sun Ra in my collection!
    ...I'll probably pick up his bio soon.
  11. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Charles Ives!
    (He was around early in the 1900s; very cool, abstract, experimental, piss off the establishment type of composer. All in all, not too shabby for an insurance salesman).
  12. Kraken

Jun 19, 2001
    Aylesbury, England
    I'm looking at checking out a lot of Jazz and Blues in the near future.

(any recommendations apart from the obvious, ie mingus, miller, jaco etc)
  13. chipmolter

chipmolter Guest

Aug 27, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I really want to explore Bruce Springsteen and Johnny Cash more. Currently, I'm working through Tom Waits. Good stuff!

Hey Bliss.

Here's a site with reader submitted biographies/recommendations: Modern Classical

Two of the modern composers who influenced modern rock more than any others, IMO, are John Cage and Karlheinz Stockhausen.

Of course, modern is a relative term. Since Cage was the starting point for Sonic Youth some 20 odd years ago and Stockhausen was the godfather of electronica, in a rock-and-roll world, neither one is really modern. For what's going on now, I don't know.
  14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This is just such a huge subject it is difficult to know where to start except to post favourites. So the original quote was about "modern composers. I'd love to check out some new stuff in that genre."

The trouble is that contemporary/avant-garde elicits hugely mixed reactions - you wither love it or hate it!

I have had this sort of thing going on with girlfriend, as I was collecting this sort of stuff years before I met her. So I used to play her stuff I really liked and got a "turn this horrible noise off now!" reaction almost invariably. So I stopped playing her any of it and only listened to it, when she wasn't there.

Recently though, we have seen a few TV documentaries and other people she knows have mentioned things and she is starting to take an interest.

So while still hating some of the stuff, she found she liked Messiaen's Quartet for the End of Time, Schonberg's "Verlakte Nacht", Berg's Violin Concerto and has become fascinated by Stockhausen. I just ordered "Stimmung" as I know this is comparatively "Easy Listening" compered to most of his works!

We also both liked Schwantner's percussion concerto as we saw this performed on TV and Gorecki's Symphony No.3 is one "modern" work that everyone seems to like along with John Tavener's choral works.

My personal favourite for "modern" orchestral works is Olivier Messiaen's "Turangalila Symphonie" - get the single CD version (cheaper and better) conducted by Ricardo Chailly - hugely powerful and exciting work - I saw it performed at the Proms and amd going to see another performance in March.
  15. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Thanks Chipmolter and Bruce, I'm going to check that stuff out. I thought that because it was such a wide range I'd ask people here, who seem to have a thing for decent music! Goodbye next weeks paycheck.....:D
  16. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    If you'd like recommendations, I'm a Stones fanatic, I'd be happy to offer some.
  17. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Oscar Pettiford is a must for bassists. Check out Tricotism, or look for a record with that track. Basically check all recordings with Pettiford on bass, as a leader or otherwise. Lucky Thompson has an album called Tricotism, with Pettiford on bass and it is amazing.

Thanks. I'm thinking Exile on Main Street would be a good place to start. I have this real old mono(!) LP with Brian Jones still in the lineup. My only other albums were Some Girls (really cool) and Steel Wheels (Not a bad intro)
  18. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'm not a big Stones' fan, either...I only very recently picked up Exile. It's a must-have, IMO.
    Too, IMO, the earlier stuff(Let It Bleed, Aftermath, Sticky Fingers, etc)would be more interesting than the later material(e.g. Steel Wheels). ;)

19. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Mingus, Miller, & Jaco? Does it hafta to be bass-led sessions?
    If so-
    Dave Holland(if I hadda pick just two, it would be Conference Of The Birds & the more recent Prime Directive.

Ben Allison(Seven Arrows; Riding The Nuclear Tiger)

John Lindberg(Resurrection Of A Dormant Soul; The Catbird Sings)

William Parker(Painter's Spring; New World Pygmies)

Electric bass?
    Gary Willis' No Sweat & Bent + the Tribal Tech stuff(Rocket Science; Dr. Hee, etc).

For overall ensemble kick-in-the-pants stuff:
    Andrew Hill-Point Of Departure...CLASSIC!
    Bobby Hutcherson-Dialouge...just re-issued last week!
    Tony Williams-Lifetime
    Any of Miles' stuff w/ either the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Great 5-tets. ;)
  20. Pea-NUT

Jul 1, 2001
    Jerseyville, IL
    So many bands, so little time.

Probably, AFI, Thursday, marcus miller, and bad religion.