ArtistShare and Jim Hall

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Nick Ara, May 7, 2004.

1. Nick Ara

Nick Ara

Jul 22, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    In another thread, I posted a note about Jim Hall's performances last week at the Vanguard. The shows were being recorded for Jim's upcoming CD. No surprise, the Vanguard does this a lot.

But what was different was the promotion of ArtistShare, a program whereby an individual can pay a set amount to have either creative or production control over the effort. For example, you can pay $20k to be listed as Jim's producer for this CD, and for lesser amounts, you will get listed, too, but not have top billing as a producer. Well, rather than go into all the details, check out Jim's web site: and you'll see what I mean.

My question: Is this something new? Investing in a creative project with no intent to gain monetary "reward", just bragging rights? It's a neat way to get fans to pay for your next album, and if I had a spare $20K, I might go for it :smug:

Thoughts from the DB community?
  2. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Geez, Nick. For only $3,500.00 you can be listed as Executive Producer on my new record. I will personally drive you to and from all the recording sessions. I'll even include you in the group photo.

Act NOW, folks, because opportunities like this don't come around often . . .
  3. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Someone on this board asked me to be the Executive Producer of his upcoming CD...My first question was "how much do you want ?"
  4. Nick Ara

Nick Ara

Jul 22, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Ahh Ha! The FINE PRINT. It seems that, at the $25k level, you also get Roger Sadowsky's JIM HALL edition guitar, the one shown on Jim's web site. Well, that's some consolation I guess.