Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Artste Basses

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Harry Horne, Jun 4, 2002.

1. Hello Artiste users on the East coast. I'm a born again URB player having had to give up my 3/4 cutaway about 10 years ago. I've just taken delivery of an Artiste DB100 and have removed the used fencing wire the Chinese put on as strings and installed Thomastic Spirocore Weich and an Underwood pick up. I'm playing exclusively Pizz for jazz through a 60watt pommie amp with a 15'' speaker. I'm having some problems because the amp is giving me a thud thud sound whilst the un-amplified bass gives a nice dark brown doom doom.Any suggestions?? Must go..rehearsal
    Regards.....Harry ( my 1st posting):)

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Hi Harry, welcome to Talkbass. I'm going to move this to the Amps & Pickups forum, since it sounds like your problem resides there. And just for the clarification of all of the ignorant Americans on the board, what's a "Pommie" amp?

3. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Sounds like the fit of the pickups...if you have them really wedged in tight, that could produce the thud. Set the pickup so it's tight but can be moved with just a bit of pressure.

4. Thanks Chris. I managed to spell "Artiste" correctly this time. The term Pommie or Pommy is the Australian equivalent of Limey= English.
    I'm trying not to write a novel but have several questions to which I haven't yet discovered the answers on this most excellent site.
    The pickup seems to be so sensitive that I cannot use it plugged into my High input as the minimum gain setting is far too loud and threatens feedback. It's much better in Low and with the bass gain at about 75% and treble up full I'm managing to get something approximating the acoustic bass sound.
    The pickup plates are fairly tight but seem to be wedged on high points on the bridge wings. Should I file the wings a little more and then use some fine wedges? Can I also ask what the string height at the octave point should be for my spirocores for amplified pizz playing. The action seems high at that point but lower than recommended at the end of the fingerboard.
    Thanks to all who have made my discovery of Talkbass Forums such a pleasure and an education.
    Sincerely.......Harry

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    HAPPY HOME,

Glad you're finding the site useful - that's what we're here for. As far as your question, I've heard of people using sax reeds for shims when installing Underwoods, but I've never done it myself. The Underwood is prone to feedback - not as much as a Fishman, but way more than a K&K Bass Max - so you should keep in mind that there is going to be a threshold of volume beyond which you may not pass. Sometimes amp positioning and a preamp can also help.

Have you read through the "Newbie Links" thread in this forum? I bet there's some information there that you could use.