Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ary 400?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Wxp4759cb, Nov 17, 2001.

1. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I need to get a new bow, but I don't have alot to spend. I've been looking at an ary 400 brazilwood, french.
    Any one know if these are any good? Any other options at a similar price?
    Thanks,

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I wouldn't buy something without playing it. Your luthier should have a collection of bows that you could sift through. If you nothing at all about bows, then find someone who does and take them to bass shop with you...

3. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Yes I agree it is good to play things before you buy, but the only place that stocks bows is a few hours away from where I live, and I'd like to have some general ideas about what to try there so I only have to go once. So any half decent bows around $300?

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Over on this side of the bass world there is a lot less of the idea of brand names, although there is a little bit of that with the synthetic bows that are coming out. You also have to consider used bows. Your biggest issue would likely be whether to go German or French, and I won't comment on the what I'd recommend for fear of starting a religious war on whose preference is best. Get a hold of someone that knows what they're doing and take them with you to the shop.

5. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I already have a bow. It is french. It is just a very bad bow. Ok, I'll try some different kinds out.

6. Tele295

Tele295

Jan 8, 2002
    Ventura, CA
    I've been using an Ary 400 (German) for the last 2 1/2 years. While I wouldn't call myself an "orchestra professional", I play a lot (about 100 dates a year, plus rehersals). The Ary has served me well, and has received compliments from the other bassists in my section, some of whom paid a lot more than Lemur charges for the Ary.

These are medium weight sticks with very good balance, which really help two hours into a three hour rehersal or performance. They come with salt & pepper hair. The winding is held by a dab of glue, so watch it doesn't come loose (I sealed it with electrical tape). The bow screw cap is plastic, which might break if you drop it (guess how I know?).

Don't let me give you the impression that these are fragile bows. They are very sturdy, but I am hard on equipment, and play in some very strange environments. Lots of outdoor gigs in less than ideal settings.

I don't know of any other wooden bows in that price range. Lemur has a pretty good return policy, but talk to them if you call.

I would highly recommend them.