Ary Bows

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Kam, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Kam

Feb 12, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    I did a search on this, a few came up but none too specific.

My social conscience leads me to try one of the Ary pernambuco bows, thinking about doing a trial with some others from a local bow broker/aficionado. I hear the Ary's can be great, but there is poor consitency from bow to bow. Is that truth or legend spurred from the process? Any info would be appreciated, thanks!
  2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
  3. Kam

Feb 12, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ary employs developmentally delayed people to do the basic labor on the initial stages of the bows. It is affordable labor, without the whole sweatshop atmosphere. At least that is my understanding.
  4. Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I play an Ary France bow. Cost me 700 bucks about 6 years ago.

Wonderful investment, I think. It's done me just fine!

edit: yes, every bow is different. my teacher had one and it was very different. I have one of the nicer ones I've played, some of their bows are very light and short, which is my favorite!

Try before you buy, find your favorite!
  5. edvon

Apr 4, 2004
    Hi, I don't own one but I had my eye on one and have recently tested it here in Australia on an old german bass with Helicores, and I have to say for A$900 it was a good bow, if I can try one on my bass I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if it sounds and plays as well. As for differences, yes I can see that there would be some from stick to stick from the same manufacturer, but I don't think this is only the case with Ary. Interesting bit about the employment practices of Ary, I did not know that. Good luck, keep us posted in case you buy one.
  6. You may have all the feedback you need at this point, but I'll add my $0.02. I've got an Ary French-style pernambucco bow, I've had it for about a year and half. It gets a great sound, more than the bow I was using previously. The one drawback is it's quite heavy compared to other bows I've used. Evidently this does vary from bow to bow, as other post-ers have already said.
  7. moschizzle

Mar 21, 2006
    I have an Ary German bow that I got in high school for 300 dollars. (it is a brazilwood model). I'm getting ready to upgrade now, but it has honestly been a wonderful bow for the price. I've had it for 6 years, and it hasn't warped, and it draws a pretty nice tone.

I can't say much about the consistancy of Ary making good bows however, because I've only played the one.