1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

As a builder - what is your favorite production bass?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Keith Guitars, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Keith Guitars

Keith Guitars

Aug 25, 2004
    Woodstock, NY
    Builder: Martin Keith Guitars, Veillette Guitars
    Thread title says it all...

Criteria are up to you - aesthetics, build quality, whatever you like!

For myself, I can only narrow it down to a few:

-EB/MusicMan: Excellent wood & finish work, generally solid and trouble-free, sound excellent, R&D is coming up with new ideas (of debatable visual appeal, but at least they're trying!)

-G&L: Same as above, and IMO one of the best values in an American-made factory instrument. Great fret jobs off the line and very good sounding. Lots of options for looks and sound.

Honorable mentions:

-Fender for continuing to tweak small details and actually improve the quality of their USA instruments over the years - I've noticed an upward trend in the last 5 years where their US factory basses seem to be getting better, not always the norm for such a 'legacy' company.

-Carvin for nice detail work, particularly in their very well-shielded and wired electronics cavities.

So - how about y'all?

Cheers,
    Martin

2. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    Tobias or MTD, I also agree about Musicman.

3. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    is ritter considered production? if not. then MTD deffinetly

4. Keith Guitars

Keith Guitars

Aug 25, 2004
    Woodstock, NY
    Builder: Martin Keith Guitars, Veillette Guitars
    Well...

I don't know that I would call MTD 'production'.

I know that Mike has the Czech and Korean basses being made - were those what you mean?

The USA MTDs are certainly not what I had in mind by "production". I'm thinking real factory-type basses, that are purchased by the dozen and can be found in most any Guitar Center.

Cheers,
    Martin

5. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    oh, well then a warwick thumb

6. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Lineā„¢ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    for attention to detail: Lull, Lakland, & Sadowsky

for sonic bliss ... well, there's only one P-bass. sure it comes in many flavors from many builders, but IMO nothing Leo ever did tops it (although he came pretty close a couple of times)

all the best,

R

7. meandi

meandi

Aug 5, 2007
    I've got an '80s fender jazz with actives that I like a lot.
    Also for an inexpensive bass I really like my dean edge 6, it's got quite a nice straight playable neck, dual rods, etc.

8. Fender looks like a bass, sounds like a bass, feels like a bass. Of course, I am a little narrow minded.

9. bimmer

bimmer

Nov 14, 2005
    MM Stingray - unpretentious, professional, understated.

Ibanez BTB - sharp looks, wide tonal pallette and the neck intimidates guitarists.

Vintage V1004DX - Looks boutique, costs peanuts. Manages to sound pretty good too.

Status Stealth 2 - Over the top hi tech with a heavy dose of space age for good measure. Sustain that makes keyboard players cry.

10. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Love this post...

Why is a Stingray "unpretentious"? What, in your opinion, is a pretentious bass, and what is it pretending to be?

11. bimmer

bimmer

Nov 14, 2005
    A Stingray is just the antithesis of the "male jewellery" high end boutique basses, more Jack Bauer than James Bond, but it still delivers the goods despite not having a fancy top, in fact no exotic woods anywhere to be seen, just relatively simple electronics, materials and hardware. Not that I'm averse to the odd bit of male jewellery myself every now and then.

12. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    IIRC, Stingray electronics are just as active as any "boutique" bass. Never could figure out what causes people to comment on a wood species' country of origin, but whatever.

Full disclosure: I just sold a Fender, and will probably own another one day.

13. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    You can find both at the guitar centers closest to me, as far as production, maybe not MTD but Tobias for sure once Gibson got involved you can pretty much call it production. Check out this article here where it says "The Gibson buy out" it explains how they got "outside vendors" to help keep up with production.

14. Gibson!!! :bag:

Seriously - Fender Jazz.

15. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Big +1!!!