Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

As a jazz bass player

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by eric atkinson, Jun 10, 2001.

1. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I used to like to listen to rock,i used to be in a rock band years ago and had 2 cds out and had the big hair and even had eyeliner! But as of now after 20 some years i like jazz because my taste have totally changed and i like to play jazz in smaller clubs because i like the thought of a few people bieng there to enjoy and understand the music that i play! I rather enjoy not having huge shows with a bunch of screaming people that really could care less if i did anything on the bass! Is there anyone else here that agrees with this or is this a bad post that putts people down in there ways or is hurting in anyway? I just enjoy making people happy when i play! Not saying that playing rock doesnt but happy in a diff kinda way i guess!

2. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    I feel a rock vs jazz war brewing ....

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey good for you, that's a great thing.

4. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    wow, cool. what band was that?

The band was called 7-WHITE ill send ya a cd if ya want! But as of now after 20 some years i like jazz because my taste have totally changed and i like to play jazz in smaller clubs because i like the thought of a few people bieng there to enjoy and understand the music that i play!

Actually you missed what i was saying i started playing bass when i was 7 played rock you know oldies for years and when i was 20 i went into more a jazz idea! So been playing jazz for about7 years now iguess! Man iam getting old!

Come on John youre just trying to make this a bad post now! Leave it be man! This is not a Jazz against rock thing at all! Actually i think some of the coolest rock has came from jazz! Phish dmb that kinda stuff i love!

And as far as the stuff that one guy said about your hair and sex organs thats just stupied! Sorry about that man! Thats just getting stupied! And i still love your damn basses!

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "If you are a bass player in a Rock band, you are by definition, a moron."
    -Scott Thunes(ex-Zappa bassist)

...the quote came from an interview in Bass Player mag about 3 years ago(Tina Weymouth is on the cover). Scott's not too jaded...whew! ;)

Eric-
    I, too, am wonderin' if you're practicing your fiction writing on us...you're not that old,are ya? ;)
    BTW, some pretty cool "Jazz" was influenced by Rock/Funk; I've been reading Beyond Miles: The Electric Explorations Of Miles Davis '67-'91...some pretty cool s*** that I'm only getting into now, 20+ years after the fact! ;)
    In fact, Miles dug McLaughlin so much 'cause he was a MUSICIAN who "knew" both Bird & Hendrix.

BTW Part II-
    Look for Miles' "lost 5-tet's" never-been-issued LIVE thing coming out next month(Miles, Shorter, Holland, Corea, & DeJohnette...Holland & Corea are "plugged in" on this recording).

6. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Man i saw that book and almost bought it but was broke at the time is it cool? I need to go buy it! Iam 27!

7. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey eric - that's cool. i honestly thought you said "after 20 years". i thought that maybe you had a typo in your profile or something.

yeah, that did get outta hand, but hey, rules is rules. i'm sorta "law and order" boy. except when it comes to traffic laws. :D

as for the other dude's issues - i've heard worse, to my face. comes with the territory, i guess.

8. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    sounds like we both have the same temper problem as well! What was up with that dude slamming you for your stuff man! At first i was kinda glad to see someone on my side of things but then i get back from lunch and i was like NNOOOO MMMAAANNN shut up! Oh well you cant pic your company i guess!

9. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Heay John i need to get in contact with conklin because i came into some cash a little while back and have been getting new equipment while i can! I kept my warwick for slap and i just orderd a new usa bolt on spector 5 string but id love to have a custom 4 string frettless from conklin! Any clue how much that will kill me for?

10. 6-stringjazz

6-stringjazz

Jun 1, 2001
    Abq NM
    Sweet. I know where you are coming from Erik. When I first started to play I was really into punk rock, but as I have matured and learned, I realize jazz is where it's at! Right ON!

11. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Cool friend after listining to John Scofield Deep Banana Blackout and stuff like that i just cant go back to radio rock! Well i still did 70s stuff!

12. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Hey, to each their own. If you prefer Jazz that cool. I happen to like the screaming fans (but no the eyeliner). Keep on keep on brutha!

13. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    sorry it took me so long to get back to you.

the price would depend on what you got on the axe - there could be all kinds of options that you get that could affect the price, like synth pickups and wacky electronics.

i'd email bill if i were you - he's really approachable and easy to talk to.

i think his email is bill@conklinguitars.com

14. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Yeah no doubt alot of choices i went to the sight and you can make your own bass so i did that! Man you can blow alot of cash that way!

15. As a 7 year old jazz player, how did your grade school music years contribute to your current level of playing?

16. How do you live your life without screaming fans?

Sounds like you've really been to the TOP!!!

It must be tough for jazz player like you to find work.

17. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    No man it wasn't like we was huge or anything! But we did get signed and traveled a lot and had some good sized shows! But it wasn't anything special! Never made it to the top! Grade school didn't help to much a played flute in grade school because there wasn't a option to play bass until high school then I played in the jazz band! When I was a kid my father got me lessons from a guy here in town and he thought me some! And the whole hard to get work as a jazz bassist it isn't to bad because I still have the drummer from the old band and we go through guitar players like I change my underwear! But we have a sax player that's been with us for about 3 years now and a keyboard player that has been with me since I could remember! Its very hard to keep a guitar player around here because they are all into death metal or southern rock! There is a few clubs we have gigs at a lot but when you cant keep a damn guitar player its hard! You get to Joplin Mo come see us I get anyone here in for free!