1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

As a Millenial - "We're sorry."

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jmattbassplaya, Sep 27, 2013.

1. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
  2. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

I'm 61-years-old and I heard the same type of thing when I was younger. :p Some things never change, we always need a scapegoat to blame for our problems.

3. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    "Jurassic Park was awesome. Good job on that one."

4. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    That's the millennials to a T.

5. slobake

I get it that some people my age say these things about younger people (I am a boomer) but the sarcasm blaming the boomers for everything was a little hard to take.
    I know it was tongue in cheek but people who really have attitudes like this will be the same people blaming the younger generation when they get older. I know I have seen it.
    There is no us and them generational or any other way, there is only us living on this mud ball.Can you trust a crazy boomer who somehow survived relatively sane and not bitter? :bag:

6. Big B.

Big B.

Dec 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Each generation is forced to learn to exist in whatever messed up world is left to them by previous generations. For previous generations to blame the next for "effing it up" is downright silly.

7. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    What about blaming previous generations?

8. slobake

Hey we have to blame someone. It sure is a lot easier than looking at our own junk.

9. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    We inherit the world from the generations that come before us.
    Theyve done what theyve done, and things are the way they are.
    Thats not intended to assign blame, its just the way it is.
    The previous rulers have done their due and left things for the next generation to step in.

The sins of the fathers shall be visited upon the sons.

10. slobake

Don't you hate it when you step in that? :p

11. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Indeed. I do not enjoy stepping in dinosaur crap ;)

12. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    The sins of the father? It's my opinion that post tells a lot about the poster.

Things may not be perfect but I think they are pretty darn good. Cars that start nearly every time. Clean water, fresh food.

But good luck making things better.

I would love to hear any plans for that project.

13. slobake

One thing that was said in the video struck me. One of the people described her generation as "self absorbed." It is not a generational trait for any generation but is more common with those who are younger. We start out as infants thinking that the world evolves around us and grow from there. Another word for self absorbed is immature. I believe we saw some of that on a recent thread that was shut down. ahem :bag:
    I know it is a stereotype but in my experience it is true. Not true across the board there are some younger people who are very mature and some older people who have never grown up. With every stage of my life I realize how little I understood in the last stage and wonder what I will be like in as I continue to age and learn.

14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Uh............
    There is no destroyed planet void of natural resources.
    There is no destroyed world economy.
    Those two wars, by comparison, are TINY compared to the ones they fought in
    (Not justifying war, but those aren't exactly humongous as wars go.)

I think the video sums it up nicely. Millenials are melodramatic spoiled brats who are way too sensitive and always looking for excuses as to why they can't succeed in a world where "the cards are stacked against them". Everything sucks and it is ALWAYS someone else's fault.

Yep. That video is spot on. Millenials spouting off a bunch of things that simply aren't nearly as bad as they make them out to be.

What I DO blame the generations before them for is this whole idea of graduating a bunch of wimps by "protecting" them from every single possible source of stress, humiliation or any other kinds of dents to their fragile little psyches.

Bad stuff happens. Not everybody wins. Sometimes you just have to pass by those who refuse to try. Stupidity can't be legislated away. Life ain't fair.

Toughen up sugar boobies. Your life will be better for it.

My father is a Vietnam veteran baby boomer. He taught me all of these things and more. These days, my psyche is bullet proof. That was love, not going to school and yelling at the administration when I screwed up and got punished. I got punished double at home for anything I screwed up at school. THAT was love. Of course, I didn't see it then. But I do now.

Cute video. Sorry we (all those who came before you) left you with such a horrible country, planet and economy.

(Oh wait. We didn't.)

15. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    That's what I've come to realize. The story is always the same with the only difference being the environment in which it takes place.

It is silly, and I think it's a real issue.

I think it depends on how far it's taken. There's a difference (in my mind) between acknowledging the shortcomings of previous generations (and learning from their mistakes) and outright blaming previous generations for their mistakes and not helping to work fix them.

And the reverse is true.

It's one thing to acknowledge the shortcomings of the current generation, but it's another to say blame current economic and social issues on the current generation and then not help work to fix said issues because "life isn't fair." It's a poor excuse at best.

16. slobake

I think most of us turn out okay despite our parent's best efforts.

17. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Amen. The New York Times just had an article that talked about how coddling kids is bad ( http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/25/opinion/losing-is-good-for-you.html?smid=fb-share&_r=0 ). My favorite quote is "If children know they will automatically get an award, what is the impetus for improvement? Why bother learning problem-solving skills, when there are never obstacles to begin with?"

But on the plus side, I'm think of buying stock in a trophy manufacturer

18. slobake

Houston we have a liftoff.:bag:

19. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    My father was a Vietnam Vet, too. He left home at 15, did his service both at home ad abroad, went to college, gained his masters, and ultimately became a successful businessman who became a CFO for several companies and sat on the BOD for several more. He dismisses people who share your POV, calls them entitled, lazy, and unwilling to help the US succeed by pushing blame on the younger generation instead of helping them fix the problems that the past generations helped create. He says it's ironic that people your age can find fault with the younger generations and yet fail to acknowledge their own or how they've helped create the mess that the younger generation currently faces.

20. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    Sorry.