Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

(as a musician) Ever find yourself....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tym2cu_bass, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Whenever I listen to the radio, cd's, songs on my comp, or i guess just songs everywhere I often just finding myself excluding most of the song and just listening to the bass part. Then when i try to think how the actually chorus of the song goes later on in the day... all i can remember is the bass part and barely any of the lyrics.

I dont know if it's just me, but do you guys do this too? Maybe all i think that matters anymore is the bass riffs. I mean... it's getting pretty bad for me cause i'm doing it subconsciously and im missing most the song ;)

Now i have to concentrate to hear the lyrics :p

2. I tend to listen and find the bassline first, but then I backup and listen to it all together.

3. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    When I'm listening to a new song I'll usually scope out the bass first and then listen to the rest, Ty style. BUT if it's a song I know already I usually just take it for what it is (which if it's on the radio usually means the bassline sucks so there is no point in singling it out).

4. The exact reason I NEVER listen to the radio anymore except for the Bob & Tom show in the morning.

5. Sadly,alot of the music I've been listening to latey isn't really heavily bass influenced,so unless im listening to a good Incubus tune,or the beatles I dont really hear much bass - at all.

6. Ditto. Basslines on radio = root notes played either even eigth notes or even quarter notes....

Are You In (incubus) has a cool bass line though :)

7. Man this was posted a few years back aswell, I know I responded to it

8. ... I've only been a part of TB sence... hmm... last February

Almost been here a year :p

... Once I get my 2*10 cab i think ill become a supporting member... its a worthy cause i think

9. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Before I played bass, I didn't have any concept of what the drums in a given song were doing. I could hear the beat, but I didn't pick up on any subrhythms or intricate drumwork at all. Now, I'm a lot better about identifying each instrument's role in the piece.

10. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Mostly I find myself wondering 'what in the world did the producer thought of when he decided to leave that part in the final mix?'..

I've been thinking of getting into producing business, although I don't wanna get involved with the crappy one-time-serving of an artists that I keep seeing promoting the current state of music everywhere :ninja:

11. Sorry didn't mean it as in to use the search... I am sure it is long gone.

sorry if it sat uncomfterable with you

12. If I think it is a song that my band might cover, I try to remember to download the song as soon as possible , before I forget it. I'm starting to get a nice library of songs that way.

John

13. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Mostly I listen to the song as a whole, rather than singling out any particular part. I find that if I concentrate too much on an individual part, I don't actually hear the song - this goes for when I'm playing as well as listening. If I'm not hearing the song, then my playing sucks, especially if I'm concentrating too much on what I'm doing.

14. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    let's go into buisiness together - i'm with ya
    overall it depends upon the music. sometimes i hear the whole thing, sometimes i analyze the mix, the individual instruments, the production, etc. I've never been all that good at remembering lyrics, but i can play songs i heard 15 years ago by ear. I recal li shared an office with a jazz saxophonist by teh name of Herb Wilson. He once remarked that he actually enjoyed listening to country music as it was the one style that he never ended up analyzing, so he could actually just listen to the song. :p

15. ... no worries, i guess i'll forgive you.

:ninja: or will i? :ninja:

but "search" didn't even come to mind when you said that... stupid search icon

16. YOU BETTER!!!!

... :( there is no fist shaking smiley... how am I supposed to look threatening?

:cool: