Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

As broad as a bass question gets...The best bass lines?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Zito75, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Zito75

Zito75

Dec 21, 2003
    This is as wide-opened as a question can get for bassists, besides maybe, "whats the best bass?"

I've been playing bass for a while now, and usually it's with my friends, two guitarists and a drummer. Mostly all I ever play are songs that arent too bass-oriented if you will...Not like there is no bass, but no great bass lines, etc.

So to try to narrow it down, what are your favorite songs with the best bass lines from punk and rock bands like RHCP, Blink 182 (though I know you guys mostly hate Hoppus), etc etc...

Not neccessarily am I looking for solos, just something thats really fun to play and sounds awsome :bassist:

Thanks for the help guys...I realize this is a broad question, so just please bare with me! :meh:

2. Toupé

Toupé

Jan 10, 2004
    Southampton, UK
    Graham Central Station - Earthquake!

3. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    If you're looking for good punk rock songs with cool basslines, you can't go wrong with Rancid songs or pretty much anything by the Descendents. Anti-Flag and some great basslines as well.

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    "Kiss", by Prince.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Followed closely by No More Tears, by Ozzy Osbourne.

6. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Some great basslines are in "Longwiew" by Green Day, and "Maxwell Murder" by Rancid is amazing!

7. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    any clash stuffs

8. What the hell is with anyone born after 87 now with Greenday, they suck...

9. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    as far as chili pepper lines go...i think aeroplane is awesome, as well as soul to squeeze. give it away is also really cool and very simple to play.

10. For mine personally, APC's "Magdalena" has an awesome carrying bassline, nothing special in skill but just carries the begging so well. Deftones "Dai The Flu" make's the song sound very future-esque but in an organic way, also the groove in Change is awesome. Tool's "Forty-Six & 2", "H", "Aenima" are all amazing bass-lines. Anything off of Lateralus is just as profound.

11. mslatter

mslatter

Apr 8, 2003
    Too many good RHCP lines to quote, really.

Also, I suggest you check out The Lemon Song by Led Zep (on LZ II.) Even if LZ isn't your style of music, this is a classic line.

There's a bass line in Kiss? We used to cover that song and I had to write my own. I saw the video on the MTV the other night and singing my own line over it, cuz I liked it so much.

12. New Found Glory has some good ones. Sincerely Me, All About Her, 2's And 3's to name a couple off the top of my head. Around The World by RHCP is a favourite of mine to play, and it isn't very hard. Schism by tool, lots!

13. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too

14. For me it's the live version of The Smashing Pumpkins's "Blue Skies Bring Tears". Nice chorused bass lines pushes the song ahead.

15. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Yeah well, the classic part is Killing Floor by Howlin' Wolf. That classic bassline, rythym guitar part, and half the lyrics were flat-out stolen from Killing Floor with no credit given to the original songwriter, Chester Burnett aka 'Da Wolf... the other half of the lyrics were stolen from Robert Johnson's Traveling Riverside Blues.

Come to think of it, Plant had very few original lyrics... what he didn't steal from the Wolf, Robert Johnson, or John Lee Hooker, he stole from Slim Harpo. :rolleyes:

16. The guy gets crucified by bass purists a lot of times, but I think the bassline in Detroit Rock City is one of the more fun lines I've learned.

17. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Dancing in the moonlight--Thin Lizzy

18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My #1 favorite bassline: Paul McCartney playing "All My Lovin'" by The Beatles.

Other favorites:

"Silly Love Songs" Paul McCartney (Wings)
    "Spirits In The Material World" Sting (The Police)
    "The Real Me" John Entwistle (The Who)
    "Bargain" John Entwistle (The Who)
    "Things I Miss The Most" Walter Becker (Steely Dan)
    "Peg" Chuck Rainey (Steely Dan)
    "Birdland" Jaco Pastorious (Weather Report)
    "Is She Really Going Out With Him" Graham Maby (Joe Jackson)
    "Give Blood" Pino Palladino (Pete Townshend)

Lots and lots of others.

19. 1) Tool - 'Schism'. I will never play another song as much as I've played it.
    2) 'Californication' by RHCP - there's just something about it that I can't explain. Peaceful, yet ominous.
    3) 'Hotel California', Eagles - one of my fave songs ever with a bassline that sounds suprisingly good through my car sub!
    4) 'Longview', Greenday - song that got me playing bass in the first place.

[k]