Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A's fan got what she deserved?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Sep 16, 2004.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I am surprised no one has jumped on this story yet. Here is a link to the version I read just now in USA Today: Injured fan wants to talk to Rangers.

No, I don't think this woman deserved to be hit with a chair, but I certainly do not agree with them trying to milk the Rangers for some cash. Just the comments alone from the her attorney shows this lady and her husband are a couple dirt bags. Then, in the article the husband admits they sit in the seats they do so they can harass the visiting pitchers.

These morons think buying a ticket to a baseball game gives them the right to harass people? Then threaten to sue them when they fight back? What do you all think?

-Mike

2. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    I hate the notion that rude, discourteous behavior is 'an American tradition' (that feeble idiot's words).

"It's part of going to the baseball game," Jennifer Bueno said. "I don't think he did anything wrong."

Spare me from these meatheads. Imagine having to sit close to such selfish people who believe the people around them need to listen to their drivel.

This points out one tremendous advantage to televised sports.

(BTW, the player should be prosecuted, and then dropped from the team)

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Here's the thing... If you encounter an idiot in traffic, & you give him "the finger" for cutting you off,,, and then a total road rage incident ensues, complete w/ him running into you & trying to beat the crap out of you... Should the person w/ the finger be held responsible,,, or the person who went nuts?

Same comparision... Verbal abuse is NOT physical abuse. True, words are powerful, but, just because you insult someone, its NOT an open invitation to physically assault them,,, NO MATTER WHERE THIS INCIDENT OCCURS...

That said, baseball games occur in a VERY public place, & are almost always televised.

Sure, these people might be dirt bags, & I always hate the thought of trashy people getting instant payola for thier transgressions. You know they'll waste it on something really stupid & eventually be much worse off than they were prior to the settlement.

BUT, there are standards of conduct, & in this country, assault is a crime.

4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    You Americans have no CLUE about sport rows :D Try visiting a soccer match in Europe!
    Last night a referee was knocked out by an object thrown by a supporter from AS ROMA, match suspended and the other team won :D I mean, its nothing new..

5. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Heckling is rude, obnoxious, and just stupid. Having said that, it's become part of sports, as sad as that is. This lady did not deserve to get nailed with the chair, although she may be a real jerk. I also don't think the Rangers should have to foot the bill on this one. I think it should be up to Francisco to compensate this woman for something that only he had control over.

6. I'm confused as well. So, they verbally abused him then started grabbing at him...? If thats the case then you get what you deserve. I agree that verbal abuse is not the same as physical, but if you verbally abuse and also physically provoke, then you get whats coming. However, I'm very sure that I've misinterpreted this poorly written article.

Leigh

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Baseball sucks anyway.

Let's concentrate on getting hockey back. :)

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    exactly. Sticks and stones....

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Don't give me that crap...remember the last time the Ryder Cup was played in America and all the Euros were whining about the fans heckling them? Soccer is just an excuse for a bunch of people to get together and riot anyway. It can't be fairly compared in any way to any other sport.

brad cook

10. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Did anyone else catch the move, "Eurotrip"? OMFG, absoultely hilarious!!! Soccer Hooligans... Manchester United fans... ROFLMAO...

11. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA

Here here :D

12. On what planet do you get to be as rude as you can imagine to someone and not have to pay the consequences?

If you do that here you get banned.

If you do it in an "unsavory" neighborhood you get shot.

You don't go to a play to insult the actors. You don't go to a concert and harrass the out of town bands. It's not "part of going to the baseball game."

Jerkys like that need to be sent a message that being obnoxious is unacceptable behavior.

13. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    The difference is it's a sport. It is a competition. Sports are the closest thing that the "civilized" :eyebrow: world has to war. IMO sports have replaced tribal warfare in advanced societies. It's an outlet of aggression, a competition, a chance to "win" and "beat" someone. All is fair in love and war. Verbal insults are inconsequential and athletes should have thicker skin and/or channel their energy back into the game.

14. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Finnish hockey league starts tonight, by the way. If you gentlemen want some good hockey to watch while NHL is off, that would be my suggestion :smug:

Also now that NHL is off, it's the BEST league in the world! :hyper:

15. You're a spectator. Not a participant or combatant. If you want to play- get on the field.

16. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    My understanding from the (local, probably biased) newspaper is that the fan that got hit wasn't involved with the physical confrontation. She was above the fray by a couple of rows. It looked like that in the video I saw too. I don't think she deserved getting a broken nose from a flying chair.

Anyway, I agree with most of what's been said. The whole thing (the heckling, the physical stuff) is just stupid to me, but then again I'm not really a sports fan. All the baseball games I've attended were ones where I got free tickets.

Marshall

17. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    As a Bay Area resident I must say that the whole incident is rather unfortunate, but nothing to get riled about. Heckling at sporting events? Does no one watch or go to pro basketball games? Professional athletes have to deal with heckling as part of the overall psychology of professional sports. That one or two individuals could rattle an entire dugout says something about the team, not the fans. Whether or not he was "grabbed on the arm" as the offender's sniveling attorney claims is irrelevant to the issue. That sad-sack that threw the chair is unfit for the demands of the profession and should be fined, suspended, and sued until he cries. Then, he may have learned a lesson about the demands of his chosen profession.

18. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I'm a Cincinnati Reds fan... When I was in the USAF @ my duty station was Beale AFB, which is about 45 minutes north of Sacramento...

So, I'd drive down to watch the Reds play the Giants, every chance I could... Woe to the person who roots AGAINST the home team, in Candlestick Park... Raider Fans are famous for how brutal they are,,, throwing beer bottles & batteries.

Its common place, but that doesn't make it right.

19. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I see your point. Blame the Romans.

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree that the action was uncalled for. I also agree that the Rangers should not be sued over this. If she wants to sue somebody, she needs to sue Francisco.

OH! I forgot. Francisco is a rookie. He doesn't have the millions that the Rangers organization does. She should sue the Rangers.:rolleyes: That way she can hit the jackpot.