1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

As fun as Sir Duke?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by 3bolt, May 11, 2010.

1. Shelly

Shelly

Jul 12, 2006
    Brighton, Michigan
    Hey Jerry,

Is that really an Fm7b5 bar, though? That would imply that a B is being played in the chord. I hear a C (which implies Fm7) in the keyboards and in the horns, not to mention that Stevie is singing "o-o-o-ver" back and forth between Bb and Ab, which would mean that he is a half step above and below a B-note for that phrase. What instrument is playing the flat 5?

Sorry, but my band is debating this one right now. All I know is that the guitarist is playing the flat 5 and I always feel strange singing over it, not to mention playing F-Bb-C as already mentioned. The sheet music that I've been able to find has Fm7, but we know sheet music ain't always right.:smug:

Thanks!

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Valley Girl by Frank Zappa featuring Scott Thunes may be my favorite rock bassline. I Want My Destiny, Let the Praise Begin, We're Blessed are some of my favorite Gospel basslines by Fred Hammond.

3. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    tell your guitar player to watch this video and go to :55 sec

guitar is loud in the mix

4. rob2966

rob2966

Oct 19, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    It's my Life - No Doubt (Talk Talk cover) - lots of movement in the verses, rockin' guitar/bass unison in the chorus.

Later
    Rob

generalduncan likes this.
  5. Shelly

Shelly

Jul 12, 2006
    Brighton, Michigan
    Wow it was there yesterday, now it is gone. :meh:

6. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    well either way, it was a Fmin7, not half dim:D

7. Shelly

Shelly

Jul 12, 2006
    Brighton, Michigan
    I figured :)....thanks!

8. Konquest

Konquest

Aug 26, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Always had fun with "Spiderwebs" by No Doubt. "Go Your Own Way" by Fleetwood Mac. "Santeria" by Sublime.

9. fourfinger

fourfinger Gold Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2003
    Central Ohio
    Maggie Mae by Rod Stewart & Small Faces (Ron Wood on bass -- which he played like a song-long guitar solo, but it somehow works and is very fun).

Jaco by Pat Metheny (Mark Egan)

Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen (Garry Tallent)

10. +1 Sublime - Santaria
    Steve Miller Band- The Joker is another fun one I've always enjoyed playing

11. I'm gonna go easy on this one. Stevie Ray Vaughan. Love you, Kiss you, Squeeze you. I just love playing the walking bassline on that song. Makes me smile everytime. :bassist:

12. giacomini

giacomini

Dec 14, 2008
    Florianopolis - Brazil
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    I guess this chord came from one of those "real" or "fake" books of jazz. Because it is the "standard" to put a half-diminished chord before the Dominant chord in a II-V change leading to the I chord, even if the actual song doesn't have the (b5).

my .02 cents

13. giacomini

giacomini

Dec 14, 2008
    Florianopolis - Brazil
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    a half dim chord is a minor chord with minor seventh and flat 5 added.