1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

AS I KEEP DROPING MY TUNING DOWN I WONDER IF I SHOULD BUY BIGGER SPEAKERS?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Breslin dp, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Does anyone tune really low and moved from 4x10's to 4x12's? My standard tuning now is G, B, G flat, B,and E I am playing a 4x10 and a 1x15 set up. Just wanted to hear your opinions on this. Please feel free to comment....:bassist:

2. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Makes no appreciable difference, but if you're tuned to the G below low B on a 5 string, you're not going to get decent sound out of any 4x10/115. Most cabs out there reproduce the first harmonic of that G at -6 to -10db.

Some commercial 4x10s will go lower than 4x12s and vice versa, the speaker size is not a flat indicator.

I'd suggest you call up Low Down Sound or Dr. Bass and order a 2x15 with Kappalite 3015LFs in it, like mine. Then you can drop the brown notes :).

3. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    That sounds like the most awkward tuning I've ever heard of.

4. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    +

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Speaker size won't matter much, but the lower you go, the more power you'll need to make those low notes seem as loud as the rest.

6. billhilly66

billhilly66

Aug 25, 2007
    Plano, TX
    I get plenty of low end out of my 4x10 but I also have lots of power behind it.

7. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

That's a very odd tuning. You'll probably have a hard time getting the lowest notes to sound great out of most cabs.