Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

As I lay my strings to rest........

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by onadowner, Jul 3, 2001.

1. onadowner

onadowner

May 23, 2001
    Texas
    Hey people. Question, how long, in your opinion should strings last...by last I mean with a good clean sound still bubbling? I'm not looking for any particular opinions on brands but those comments are always welcomed.

What I am looking for is the normal duration of your strings, how long you'd expect a good string's sound to last and etc. I know some people change their strings every week or whatever and some every year, and even some like em old anyways....but how do you measure string life outside of personal old/new preferences...if possible. Excuse the rambling. :p

Hmm...hope this makes since. Anyhow this question just came about a few mins ago. Right now I'm using D'Addario Halves on a 5, and I like em. I've tried Ernie Balls, and sample a bit in GHS and so far these are my fav....but are they up to par with other people's string life...I dunno....I've yet to change them since I put em on 2 months ago.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hm, that's a hard one.
    It's probably too dependent on individual factors, like how hard and how much you play, how aggressive your sweat is, and what your sound ideal is.
    Example: Some people want that ultra brilliance of a fresh string and they change strings a lot. Anthony Jackson is reported to change his strings after EVERY song when recording.
    Others like their strings best when the first billiance is gone and the strings have settled to their 'normal' phase, which is not as brilliant, but still new-sounding.
    Yet others like their strings dead, Rory Gallagher's bassist used to put his strings in a dishwasher before use.

So you can only compare it for yourself really. Check out different brands and record how long they last.

Personally I like the ultra briliance. After a week or so, I put the strings in alcohol or turpentine for a night and they're fresh again. I usually use a set for 9-12 month.

3. I like 'em medium-rare :)

Don't like them when they're brand new.. and as soon as they start to feel like my mother's spagetti, and start to sound muffled.. i change them.. that's usually after 3..4 months.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

For my DR's, I'd say the piano string ring and unreal clarity fades after 12 hours of hard playing, ("hard" as in constant not as in "digging in").

I like `em very broken in, when the metallic ring is gone and the "thud" factor becomes more fat and full.

I don't change them by the calendar. Whenever I, (and hopefully not someone else), notice they're beginning to lose their liveliness, their immediate, big, responsiveness, they're gone.

5. I like 'em new. So, I just stretch them a little and start playing with them straight away.

I tend to chage them every 4-6 weeks.

6. onadowner

onadowner

May 23, 2001
    Texas
    I'm a bit late, but thanks for the replies guys.