Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

As if pop-ups weren't bad enough

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rojo412, Oct 15, 2002.

1. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    First off, pop-ups are the worst thing I've seen since Old Navy commercials. I hate them with a passion! There's nothing I've seen that got rid of them (for free, at least). I feel that they are a nuisance and an infringement on our rights as internet dwellers...

BUT TO MAKE MATTERS WORSE:
    They have ones that have music or people talking that just pop up and not only annoy you, but scare the living bejesus out of you. Is there any sort of campaign against this guerilla advertising? If so, where can I sign up? If not, I'm going to start one.
    I realize that these companies have to make money and doing this is an advertising ploy, but there's advertising and there's annoying. With telemarketers, there are laws where you can report them if you have requested to be removed from their list. Not so with Pop-ups! And they don't just pop up where you can close them anymore... they pop up, then hide or are placed in a part of the screen where you can't just click off. Some activate more pop-ups when you close the screen?

WHAT CAN I DO?

2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    throw your pc down a river

3. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    I have STOPzilla, it proved very effective at getting rid of pop-ups, the only problem is that you have to turn it off to open links that open in a new window, or else copy & paste the link.

Check it out, its totally worth the $20 registration.

4. Join me and my brothers in arms, on the war against spam.

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    you can...
    get a pop-up stopper program
    disable javascript (in internet options>advanced)
    get opera (www.opera.com) actually has a button that says "disable popups!"

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    www.lavasoftusa.com

seriously - almost every other internet connectivity problem we come across at the help desk where i work is ad/spyware related. everyone should have this program!

7. ltom3

ltom3

Sep 26, 2002
    Omaha, NE
    Another that works well is Pop Up Stopper.
    you can find it at www.panicware.com. When I downloaded it it was free.

8. Yeah, I have the Panicware freebie pop-up stopper, too. The only thing about it that bugged me is that I have to hold down either -ctrl- or -shift- to open a pop-up window that I want, which really doesn't happen too often.

Provided, a couple pop-ups get through it, but it's worked very well for me.
    It sucks for my friends who want to check their email on my computer because the USC network farted on their computers, though, because they keep forgetting to press -ctrl- to get the "compose" window to pop up. :p

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Begin rant...

What the ****, I don't understand that form of advertisement!? If you harrass someone enough are they suppose to cave in and buy your product. I sure as hell won't. Don't send me 7 emails a day and expect me to say, OK I guess you've got a point. I'll buy this product. Or annoying pop ups. In fact due to spam and pop ups, I won't go to certain webpages and I won't be enlarging my penis. If a ad pisses me off enough, I note in my head to never, no matter what, buy this product.

End Rant

:mad: :mad:

10. the worst are the ones that move around, it becomes some sort of sick game trying to close the damn things

11. agreed... popups sucks ballzac

12. Very annoying indeed. How about the hidden spy camera popup that's been around forever? If you read the ad, it tries to say that you can use the camera to a) see who came to visit b) ensure your kids' babysitters are trustworthy or c) monitor intruders. But the message that the ad clearly sends you with its visual imagery is that you can use the camera to spy up some young woman's skirt undetected.

What a joke. :rolleyes: I'd probably respect the company more if it just said, "Greatest breakthrough for Peeping Toms!" Seriously, what's up with marketing these days?

13. The worst ones are the ad's that are made to look like those popup boxes in Windows when you ge t an error message. They usually have something like "Your computer is not protected". So people who aren't up on computers and Windows will think it's a legitimate problem with the computer.

Half the pop up ads I see are for things that don't have any relevance, furthering the uselessness and irritating aspect of them.

14. With those ones, we could just teach people to change the window name/bar thingamajiggy colors so they'll (hopefully) notice that it's not an error message that they otherwise would get on their computer.

Or something. I dunno, I'm tired, listening to my college radio station because one of my friends is interning on the Metal Militia show that's on now, and trying to write a 3 page draft (due tomorrow) for my essay (due Friday).

15. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I downloaded that Panicware 2.4 and it is awesome!!! The homepage on my computer is actually my Dad's (well, the computer is his too). Everytime I go from "Excite" to something else (like Yahoo), there was a popup... until I loaded this software.

I'm happy again! But it's still happening to others, which still sizzles me.

Why can't these advertisers just stick to brainwashing us with subliminal advertising and MTV? I don't need your peeping camera! I got one free when I signed up for Earthlink! And my computer IS messed up, but I'm not going to buy a program to fix it because it POPPED onto the screen!

DANG NABBIT, MEDIA!!! POUR RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT DOLLARS INTO SOMETHING USEFULL, LIKE SCHOOLS, HOSPITALS, POOR AREAS OF TOWN... SAVE LIVES, IMPROVE THE STANDARD OF LIVING! THE MORE PEOPLE LIVING, THE MORE PEOPLE TO BUY YOUR SPY CAMERAS AND AIRPLANE TICKETS!!!

:oops: i need some water after all of that yelling

16. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    just be quick with alt-f4.

im the fastest in the west.

;)

17. haplo07

haplo07 Guest

Apr 13, 2002
    Tinley Park, IL
    i use zone alarm pro. it has a few settings to block pop up ads. :)

18. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    I have zone alarm, I'm too cheap to buy the Pro version, but it gets the job done.

19. Since this topic has been discussed before, I don't think it warrants a new thread... But, tonight, the telemarketers have been relentless. Since I've been back home for less than an hour, I've had 5 telemarketers call me. I usually don't pick up "unavailable" calls, but on the fifth time, I finally picked up the phone and firmly told them that I am not interested. And that's not including all the times they've been calling througout the day while I was out.

Seriously, I am becoming classically conditioned to get high blood pressure when I hear the phone ring. One call on the hour is bad, but I had somehow gotten used to it. But 5 in an hour?

Ok, that's it for the rant.