as long as my amp isnt clipping?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aenema, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    i have a goliath III and a bass 750. my question is can i crank the low end up without damaging my speakers? as long as the clipping light doesnt come on am i ok?
  2. I'll elaborate a bit on geshel's friendly post ;)

The Goliath III is not a subwoofer. Cranking the lows too much may damage the cone suspensions long before the maximum eletrical power is reached.

When you hear the cab "farting" slightly and the amp is not clipping, you're outside the "safe operation area" :D
  3. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    hey joris... just to clarify.. i tried out an ampeg classic 610 HLF yesterday at a GC, and the salesguy said that part of the cabs sound is its growl. well i through it with my R600 about 2/3 of max volume, and it did growl, especially on the lower notes. the salesguy said this wont hurt the speakers at all. my amp was not clipping. is this growl really ok? or was he just trying desperatly to sell me a cab?
  4. It depends on what you mean by "growl". If it's a "BWOOOO" kind of sound I'd call it growl, but if there's a more (French pronounciation) "RRRRRRRRR" sound, then the drivers are definitely the end of their excursion.

Growl is good, fart is bad.
  5. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Thanks Joris. I was falling asleep but had to make sure that one got aswered. :)

I dunno, I'd describe the "good" growl as "rrrrr" and the bad kind (farting) as "brAAAaap". :D Not sure how much growl a speaker cab should really be adding though - maybe accentuating what the bass and amp already have?
  6. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    Hey! Get it right....Joris said "RRRRRRR" not "rrrrrr". "rrrrr" is ok, but "RRRRRR" isn't:D
  7. Growl is good, fart is bad, BrAAAaap is even worse.

I might use that a my new signature.....
  8. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Im pretty sure i know the answer here, but im doing a double check while we are on the subject. I got a peavey 4X10TX (350 Watts RMS) And 350 watt head. running a 8 ohms. 200 watts. now the only worry i have is driving the amp to hard, or maxing out the low end....right? also wondering, if the peak light starts flashing red, but i am getting no distortion, its ok. right? i mean, i know that i cant run it with the peak light just, ON. all the time, but if it flashes, its alright.......right? also, the lights only flash if i press the limiter button. when i press the limter button, all it does is turn green when i crank it a little. i know this is ok. but whats the use? why dont i just turn it off?

Well goodness. i just might make this another thread.
  9. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    ok thanx a bunch. you just saved me a goliath III. ;) looks like ill have to get a 15 to get the low end im lookin for. i dont wanna have to haul around a 4x10 and a 15. anyone got 2x10s and a 15 they would be willing to trade? :D
  10. I didn't say it's a bad cabinet; just don't expect to get the same low end out of it as a 15. A Goliath III (I imagine) still makes a good belly shaker. You shouldn't decide against the G III because I said what I said above.
  11. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    yes the goliath III has tons of low end. its just i use to play an all tube 300 watt head thru a 15..... so my idea of low end is an earth quake. :cool: