1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For Sale As "NEW" RARE Fretless Warwick Starbass II Gold 34" Long Scale PRO series Made in Korea w/ Case

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by khui, May 23, 2020.

1. khui

khui Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Price:
    Strings:
    Fretless:
    • Y
    Aloha Fellow Bassists!

Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy as we continue to navigate the COVID-19 outbreak. I'm downsizing my collection in this stage of my life (turning 50 this month) and I don't need the amount of basses that I have.

Last time I played live was back in the mid 90s. Since then I have been a collector and not a practicing musician. All the basses I own now have never left my bedroom and may have been played only a handful of times.

I am an experienced buyer and seller, and recently returned to Talkbass to downsize my collection. I have shipped high end instruments worldwide including Ken Smiths, Custom Shop Warwicks, F Basses, Custom Shop Hamers (12 strings), including the Exhibition Roscoe in my avatar.

Up for sale is a 2011 WARWICK STARBASS II Fretless 4 string in GOLD, made in Korea and comes with a Epiphone hardcase. This is one of the last production made basses coming out of Korea before the production was moved to China. This also has the desired and rare hard to find 34" scale length vs the current short scale length. The hardware and electronics are the same as the German made instruments and these pickups have an amazing growl to it. I have heard others say that the Korean made instruments are of comparable quality to their Germain counterparts. It has gold hardware and stock gold knobs (included in purchase) but I preferred the black knobs look. Bass is finished in a metallic gold with body binding. Some of the body close up pics below shows the depth of the fine metallic texture of the paint job. Bass is a semi-hollow body with a set neck design. There are side dots on the top side of the fretboard, marking the "odd" number frets and the double dots on the 12th fret.

The bass is in new condition and has not ever been gigged with or left my bedroom. It has been played only a handful of times as i am a collector and not a practicing musician. However being a fretless bass with an unfinished fretboard, there are minor string scratches on fretboard no matter how little the playing. Hardshell case is also in new condition but since it did not come with a case, I purchased a new Epiphone Jack Casady hardcase and it fits perfectly. Covered the "Epiphone" logo with a warwick sticker. lol.

Action is low and neck is straight, and is strung with Ernie Ball Super Slinky flatwounds Cobalt 45-65-80-100 strings on it. Bass weights 9 lbs on my bathroom scale so please allow for some deviation in case your scale may indicate otherwise. I do have a range of "light" basses to "beefier" basses. Something about the traditional weighted basses seem to have a little more resonance to me. Since I don't prance around on a stage, I don't mind the weight since the tone is "richer" to my ears.

Shipping is free in the continental US. International buyers, please contact me for shipping costs.

I'm trying to downsize my collection so I'm not interested in trades at this time. Let me know if there's any questions. Thanx for viewing my listing. Aloha and Mahalo.

(All photos taken indoors with natural sunlight. Apologies for the glare and slight color variation of pics due to lighting.)

Keith

body profile angle.JPG
    Full Bass Profile front.JPG
    Full Bass Profile Back.JPG
    body profile front.JPG
    body profile back.JPG
    headstock front.JPG
    headstock back.JPG
    body details.JPG
    Neckjoint 1.JPG
    Neckjoint 2.JPG
    Body Label.JPG
    hardware.JPG
    Case Side.JPG
    Bass in Case 1.JPG
    Bass in Case 2.JPG
    Accessories.JPG

Last edited: May 24, 2020 at 4:28 PM
    ErikP.Bass, Koog, HeavyJazz and 3 others like this.
  2. simongpaez

simongpaez Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2005
    The Woodlands , Texas
    Sweet!

3. khui

khui Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Thx for the kind words!

4. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Great looking bass. I especially like that truss rod cover. Gets rid of screwing around with the strings in the way of the screws, very smart. Glwts.

5. khui

khui Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Thx for the comment. Its a great bass, but being fretless its rarely played. I'd be lucky if I'd touch a fretted once a week for half an hr, so imagine how rarely I play this. Can't justify keeping it knowing its rarely touched when I'm downsizing. Hoping to find her a good home. =)

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  6. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Beautiful bass!

7. khui

khui Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Mahalo for the kind comments!

8. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
    I’m in that exact same position. I might let go of my fretless this year. It’s a shame when these great axes aren’t used more. Best of luck.

9. khui

khui Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Thx! Aprreciate it!

bbh likes this.
  10. bebi

bebi Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Fredrikstad, Norway
    I've had both a made in Germany Star Bass in Bubinga and a made in Korea black Star Bass. Except the fancy wood and slightly higher weight on the German one, sound wise they were identical to my ears. Beautiful bass!

11. khui

khui Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Thx for the comments! I had a custom shop 5 string starbass too! I got that one before this one. I just couldn't see myself such a high end instrument. I think they still have it on the warwick page as a photo for the 5 string. It was in a satin honey violin finish. I agree with you that the sound and feel were very close. Something I thought was "weird" was the German made ones actually had a control cavity on the back but the Korean made ones didnt. I think it looks "nicer" without the cavity, but definitely more practical with.

12. nick333

nick333

Nov 3, 2012
    Are there are side dots ? ON or BETWEEN the "frets" ?

13. khui

khui Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Aloha Nick,

Thx for the question. Apologies for overlooking including this in the description. I'll go back and revise. Yes, there are side dots right "ON" the odd numbered frets and 12th fret. If you look at the 2nd to the last photo, the pic with the bass inside the case, you can see the side dots. You can click on the picture to blow it up to see it better. Thx again. Mahalo for the question.

Last edited: May 24, 2020 at 4:59 PM
  14. A very nice looking bass. If it were fretted, it would be on it's way here. Good luck with the sale.

khui likes this.
  15. khui

khui Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Thx for the compliments. I had a 5 string fretted version previously. I thought the sound would be awesome fretless and tried this one. Sounds amazing fretless and fretted.

16. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    That is one beautiful bass. GLWTS!

khui likes this.
  17. khui

khui Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Thank you for the compliments. I think its nicer in person with the wood grain showing better on the fretboard.