1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

As weird as this sounds, I kinda want a Bassman 25 1x10 combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The 0x, Apr 7, 2006.

1. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    A local Music & Arts has these for $180 bucks, and I decided to plug into one today. I kinda really like it. It has a good clean sound, and sounds pretty deep, despite only having a single 10" speaker. And normally, I hate most 10s. I just want something portable to take around to quiet jam sessions.

[​IMG]

It also has a kickback cab design, and an auxillary in for a CD player, something i've wanted as a practice tool.

Is $180 a good price for these, especially since they're like last year's model?

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Love mine! Bought it on closeout from BassNW a few years ago.

I've used mine at a garage rehearsals. This is with a blues project, not my usual loud rock'n'roll. Even so, there was a drummer in addition to guitar, bass, and vocals, and I was impressed at how well this little combo kept up. Didn't sound distorted or anything. You're right, it's pretty darn phat for a 1x10.

3. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    I used a 1x12 Bassman 60 a few years ago and was actually surprised by how good it sounded, and how well it was able to keep up in a practise situation.

4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Weird thing is though, I can hear the limiter clicking on & off, especially when i'm playing on the lower strings. A bit annoying at first, but that's just because i'm used to tubes, I guess.

5. I sold mine and I have been kicking myself ever since. It was a great little amp, plenty loud enough for small, non-rock/metal jams and coffee house stuff. I tried the new bassman 100 1x10 at the local store and it was nowhere near as good, but I'm thinking it may have been defective....if not then Fender is really letting things slip...

6. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    I'm concerned.

I've listened to your music, and to steal someone else's words, I feel like I'm riding a wooly mammoth into the heart of the sun.

Next thing I know, you're gonna get Wootenized.

7. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    +1 :hyper: Great Practice Amp

8. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I played through one when I was looking at practice amps a few years ago. I thought they sounded really nice, had pretty good volume for their size, plus had a lot of useful features. For that price it's a great buy.

9. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Little combos like that are great practice amps and also make for a light load in for "acoustic" type gigs. You don't always need your main rig.

10. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I haven't played through that version but the original version (the RAD 1-10) was awesome. I'm not surprised at all!:bassist:

I'd snatch up a RAD model in good condition faster than you could say "turn up the bass"!:D

11. I think the Fender 25 and Peavey Minx are great ideas.

I own the Minx. It does great in coffee shops and similar intimate venues. It has no bottom, nor do I expect any. I'm toying with replacing the Peavey driver with an Eminence B102 with whizzer cone for improved highs.

12. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I love mine. It's nice to have the RCA aux input and headphone jacks as well. (Headphone jack is not available on the more expensive models in the bassman series, and while it's not the best sound, it is suitable for late night practicing).

I'm using it now for practice while my head is in the shop, and while the sound is not as good as my main rig, it's more than adequate for practice.

However, mine was only $149 shipped to my door last year from MusiciansFriend. Maybe MF was blowing them out, but it was a good deal . . .

13. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    They are good. I may have to get one some day soon.