Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ASCAP or BMI ???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by leftundone, May 13, 2003.

Are you registered on ASCAP or BMI ?????

Poll closed Feb 6, 2006.
  1. ASCAP

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. BMI

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. leftundone

leftundone

Mar 14, 2003
    Chicago, IL
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I believe ASCAP is US based while BMI is Europe based. Of course, they cover the same territory worldwide so there should be no significant difference.

3. I went with BMI. I joined as a songwriter and publisher.

ASCAP started out being primarily American, but that was a long time ago. If you look at the credits for your fav musicians, you will find that they are pretty much split between BMI and ASCAP - and there really isn't that much difference in the two.

I went with BMI because ASCAP promotes a "catch 22" effect. You can't join unless you have some credits out there - for which you would not be getting any royalities for since you couldn't join them yet.

BMI was MUCH nicer to me on the phone - they WANTED my business whether or not I had songs or a product out there at the time. I believe they are more user friendly.

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    BMI is European you say?

I was under the impression that they were both American. Maybe I'm wrong.

Over this side of the pond, it works slightly differently. Rather than having two large (competing) companies like that, there are three (or more?) companies that handle different kinds of royalties - there's no competition as such.

It can be confusing, and I get confused by it - but we've got the PRS (Performing Right's Society) - which collects royalties from live performances on behalf of composers. Then there's the MCPS (Mechanical who collect royalties on behalf of composers on recordings. If you release an album (or whatever) they'll collect your royalties from sales of the album.

Then there's PPL (Phonographic Performance Limited). They'll collect composer's royalties from broadcasts of recordings. When your song gets played on the radio, they'll collect your money.

5. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    BMI.

It was free to join and easy to set up. Too bad I haven't made any money from my registered music yet :bawl:

I don't think it really makes a difference now between the 2.

-KB

6. Professor X

Professor X

Apr 15, 2002
    Motown
    Both BMI and ASCAP are american...

I'm with BMI because a former writing partner of mine was with them.

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Bump!

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I've had some heated conversations with BMI over my own domain... because the 'found' mp3 files on my site they want me to buy in to be a wecaster. :rolleyes: I host my own material :confused:

Anyway, after my last registered overnight 'pay nice or we'll make it hard' letter was delivered last week I got a nice lady from NY on the line and worked it out. she says they'll leave me alone and filled me in on what they can offer my as a musician. I'm waiting on an info package now.