Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Asco Rickenbacker 4001 copy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by baxx, Jan 31, 2006.

1. baxx

baxx

Jan 31, 2006
    HELP!

Does ANYONE knows anything about Asco bass guitar, (Rickenbacker 4001 copy)?

Thanks!

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    You'll have better luck with this question over in Basses.

On the way now...

3. steve21

steve21 Banned

I only know it'd be hard as hell to find, Ric is hardcore against ANYBODY copying their shapes.

4. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    Yes they are, if you post this on their forum they will not like it and probably lock the thread after CEO John Hall expresses himself!
    I have seen some ric copies on ebay , ibanez's, but that is about it lately.

5. steve21

steve21 Banned

yeah, for some reason I've seen a FEW ibanez ric copies, but Ric in general is against people even putting ric copies on ebay.

6. baxx

baxx

Jan 31, 2006
    I have seen some ric copies on ebay , ibanez's, but that is about it lately.[/QUOTE]

Well, I was checking Ibanez copys already and from what I've found there's a big chance that this is an Ibanez but under other name (?). It seems to me that Ibanez doesen't like this RIC subject either (some law suits in the past) :(

7. steve21

steve21 Banned

Ibanez was sued by everybody in the late 70s.

Ironically enough, i've heard their ric copy doens't even sound like a ric... sounds like a J-bass.

But that's just what I've heard.

8. baxx

baxx

Jan 31, 2006
    Ironically enough, i've heard their ric copy doens't even sound like a ric... sounds like a J-bass.

But that's just what I've heard.[/QUOTE]

I don't know what to say, unfortunatelly I haven't got a chance (yet) to try personally one original Ric :( So far, this one is close enough (especially for it's price). It's probably different from instrument to instrument, I've tried J-bass that didn't sound like J-bass (I was really sad), and I've tried some J-basses that actually sounded like they should.
    Every single instrument is a different story.

9. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    If you're considering a Ric copy, look for a Univox Stereo Bass. I had one back in the day and it was awesome. I bought it to be a backup to my real Ric.

The real Ric became the backup.

10. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    interesting thread....but what are you buying when you buy a rick copy...it might look like a ric but thats not what makes a rick a rick. I always try to imagine a bodidley block type guitar ...once the outward shape is gone then all you have to go on is the quality ..and that probably is not going to come through. In the words of a certain peter hook on his ricky copy .."its was total sheite"....but hey someone out there might want to put the same love into a copy as rickenbaker does ...not a great buisness plan though because that would take some extra effort that might not pay off.