Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Asdown Elec Blue / Mag ( / Behringer ??)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PaulF, Jan 5, 2005.

1. PaulF

PaulF

Nov 17, 2004
    Hi all

I'm still looking at various Amp options (at the cheaper end of the market).

I'm quite interested in the Ashdown range - a lot of people seem to have good things to say about them.
    Is there any difference in 'quality' between the Elec Blue range and the MAG range - I realise the MAG's are 300w and the EB's are 180w, but apart from volume what other differences are there ?
    Also, I'm still debating the whole Combo / Amp&Head decision. One guy in a local shop yesterday said there wasn't really much difference, but then he backtracked and said the Ashdown MAG 1x15 Combo was a much smaller speaker cab than the 1x15 Cab, so potentially you could get better 'bottom end' from an Amp&Head set up than the Combo.

Lastly, ignoring all the multitude of 'ethical' pro's & con's :rolleyes: , where do the Behringer Bass stuff fit into the scheme of things. Is the BX3000T comparable to an Ashdown MAG, or maybe just the EB ?? and had anyone tried out the Behringer Bass Cabinets yet ??

I'd be grateful for any advice - I'm on a limited budget, but I don't want to buy cheap stuff now and regret it later - if the MAG is a better head than the others, then I'd rather buy that now (and 'make do' with various speaker cab's I've already got) and save future gig money for a decent cab later this year.

Cheers,

PaulF

2. Sparkie

Sparkie

Nov 15, 2004
    I resently came across what I would call a super deal at Guitar Center. If they still have any left they are blowing out the SWR Workingman's 4004 head. That would at least give you another option to try. Honestly, I don't think you can go too wrong with any of them.

Cheers

3. jazza42uk

jazza42uk

Sep 14, 2001
    Bristol, UK
    True, a lot of people have good things to say about Ashdown. But then again, a lot of people (myself included) don't like them at all. I've tried them a number of times and just can't get 'em to sound anything other than ghastly.
    And they've had some quality-control and reliability issues of late.

4. ibanezman200

ibanezman200

Jan 3, 2005
    birmingham
    Hey, im an ashdown user i hav the mag 300 hed and deep blue 410 cab they are very gud qualitly 4 the price and they give me the rite sound i want. i would say the mags are better than the EB mainly for the sound but with the mag you get more for the money :bassist: :bassist: