Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Asdown EVO I/II 500/900 Users Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by degroove, Jan 2, 2005.

1. degroove

degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Hey all,

My rig now is an Ashdown EVO 575 Watt head into an Ampeg SVT 410 HLF. I am considering downsizing the rig for portability purposes to a 2x 2x10 or 1x15 + 2x10 rig.

How are you all running your Ashdown Heads? Mine has a subwoofer out 1/4" jack on the back. Are any of you all using this jack? Any using a setup where you want to direct the bass frequencies to a certain cab? Is this for powered or unpowered subwoofers?

Thanks MUCHO!! Happy New Year.

Matt

2. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i have a 900 evo. i don tahve any "subwoofer" outs. but i do have 2 outputs for speakers. right now im only running 1 4x10 (abm 414t) but hopefully one day ill get another.

3. I use the ABM500 EVO 11 with Ampeg SVT 410HE and SVT15E and it sounds great. No need to use the sub speaker output as the 15" cab does fine. i use my for rock and play a musicman and Yamaha bass with it.

4. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The sub out is for powered cabs only.

5. Absolutely!

I seem to recall that Ashdown do a 500 watt 1x15 powered cab specifically for the purpose.

I can only IMAGINE what the subharmonic effect would sound like through one ot those babies :D :D

6. degroove

degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Excellent. That answers one major part of my question!

7. degroove

degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE

Cool. So, no need for special crossovers. You are also saying the 15 gets the needed juice by running the head with two speakers. Cool ....

Thanks very much!

8. I use the 1 x 15" and 4 x 10 cabs daisy chained together to give the head a 4 ohm load. The amp has loads of bottom end so using the sub speaker would be un- necessary in my opinion.

Ive heard the head thru Mag series cabs and they are ok but the best is a decent pair of cabs like the ABM series which are a better match to the quality tones of this amp.

However as im a previous Ampeg user i still use my Ampeg cabs SVT15 and SVT410HE and it rocks.

I would say that this head is as good as my recently sold SVTCL head and alot less money and maintenance.

Plus it will do more in tonal variations etc.

Get yourelf a footswitch like Boss FS-5L which has an led on it and connect it via a normal guitar lead to the Sub Harmoniser jack on the back and then you can kick in the sub Harmoniser at will and the led is a visual reminder that its on.

Dont get the Ashdwon footswitch as they do not have leds fitted. Remember to have the tube drive button out if you do this as this is where it needs to be if you connect a lead into that rear socket .

9. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I use my ABM500 EVO at 4 ohms into a single Bergantino HT322 (1x12 and 2x10's in the single cab). It Kicks MAJOR booty. It weighs a lot though. But the casters make it roll so well, it is quite manageable. If I were to opt for 2 smaller cabs, I would most definitely consider a 1x15 and 2x10. That is a killer combination.

10. degroove

degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    :eyebrow: Wish I heard about Boss pedals sooner!! Cause the Ashdown pedals are hard to use without an led to tell you they are on...

Do you leave the SUb harmonic on often. I rarely ever use it...

Also, what OHM load is your speakers...must be 8 ohm, eh???