1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ASH body on a Fender?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bleeding, Oct 17, 2009.

1. bleeding

bleeding

Jan 10, 2007
    Looking at purchasing a new Fender Jazz USA Deluxe. I noticed on the website they offer this with an Ash body - but I cannot find anything local that carries this so I can try it out.

What difference is the ash going to make with the sound? It will be played thru an ampeg SVT-CL and an 810 cab.

2. Lots and lots of people will tell you it makes the bass sound brighter.
    I will tell you it looks nice.

:)

3. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    love me some ash

4. bleeding

bleeding

Jan 10, 2007
    Not sure how it looks any different? More concerned about tone though.

5. Tonal variation will be minimal. But generally Ash has a more scooped tone compared to alder. Solid lows,and bright highs.

6. All I can say is it sounds AWESOME. Gets me a very agressive tone. Then again, I'm in the "It's in the pickups, preamp, and strings" camp.

customJblackburst.

7. Lemoore-on

Lemoore-on

May 11, 2008
    Ash has great grain and looks good under some kind of translucent finish that lets the grain show thru.

8. fish slapper

fish slapper

Nov 17, 2005
    Newberg, OR
    I have both Alder and Ash bodied J basses. To my ears the Alder basses sound a tiny bit "sterile" or "modern" and the Ash basses go a teanie bit to the "organic" side. This is splitting hairs and probably has something to do with my Alder basses are fretted and the Ash ones fret-less. :bag:

One of my Alder basses is a Deluxe Fender J and it is great.

9. Ash basses usually have a transparent finish, because it's pretty.

10. bleeding

bleeding

Jan 10, 2007
    For what its worth - I play alternative/rock type music - fingerstyle usually, I dont slap much - minimal effects.

11. Exactly. Which is why I don't like it. I think it looks pretty, but those scooped mids aren't as good in a band setting.

12. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Hmm me thinks Pickups/Fretboard play a role as well.

For example.

I have a Fender CIJ 53 reissue P Bass that is Ash/Maple board and it is very Mid Heavy/Gnarly.

I have an American Hot Rod P J that is Ash/Rosewood board with Duncan PUP's and it is very Mid Scooped.

I have an American P5 Alder/Rosewood and it is really even but very warm.

100_0713.