Ash body

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Infamous_MB, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Infamous_MB

Dec 11, 2002
    How is ash as a wood for a body? Im just wondering b/c i found a cheap bass w/ an ash body that i want to gut, add a new pickup, and a moses neck. Is it lightweight? have much sustain?
  2. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    ash is one of the most common woods used for guitar & bass bodies. The weight depends on the kind of ash (northern ash is heavier than swamp ash) and the particular piece of wood. the sustain depends on many factors.

keep groooovin'
  3. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    it is not as soft as some other woods used (basswood in many basses) so it seems to handle nicks better. If you are going for some sort of clear/translucent finish, the grain in ash seems to be nicer than alder or basswood. Nice natural look to it. Looks great under a burst color jazz.
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Since it a "cheap" bass, I imagine it's probably hard ash.

My ash-bodied Skyline 55-02 seems quite light to me. Even with the "snap" of its rock maple neck and fretboard, it has fine sustain.

Of course, it has that Lakland bridge. I doubt even the best board of ash is going to have much sustain if it has a wimpy bridge without much mass.
  5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I love the tone Ash adds to a bass and/or guitar! Rick said it with the sustain being a sum of the whole bass thou. I've felt 25lbs ash basses and 6lbs ash basses... it really varies

As for a cheap ash bass... I'm stil thinking of grabbing the $299 ash/maple with blocks Jazz 5 from Rondo to ease my GAS till I can afford my next Benavente (ash bodied fretless)
  6. I have an American P bass made with Ash.
    I find this particular P bass of mine to be quite heavy, more so than my ones made with Alder. It seems to be a pretty tough wood so far...and the sustain seems to ring for a while.
    It also makes for nice transparent finnishes like my Sunset Orange on my P bass, you can really see the grain...and i really like that personally.
    I really love the ash....probally more so than the alder.