Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ash down Mag 300 or 600?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Da Funk Docta, Dec 22, 2005.

1. I am gonna get an ampeg 410hlf speaker cab, and am looking for a head. I can either get a behringer, which i'm just assumeing is gonna be horrible, or an ashdown 300 or 600r. I'm not really sure of the price diffrences, because the site says theyre both "too low to post" so if anyone could give me an idea of how much i'de be saving by getting the 300 instead of the 600, or also if it's a better idea to get a 600 either way... that'd be very very great.
    thank you very much, and also thank you for answering my questions on other posts :)

2. chrisp2u

chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    DEFINITELY get the Ashdown over the Behringer. The Ashdown cost a bit more, but you won't be disappointed. I've seen the MAG300 head advertised for $299 and the 600 for $419... both include shipping. I saw the Behringer 450 watt for $259 at the same place.

As far as getting the 600 over the 300... I guess that would depend on what you're playing, where, and with whom.

I have a MAG300 210 combo that I plug a MAG115 cab into. I play (mostly rock/classic rock) with a guitarist whom uses a Marshall 100 watt amp, a keyboardist with a 300 watt'r and a drummer that hits pretty hard much of the time. We get pretty loud and I've rarely had the volume set to more than just over half.

However, if you can swing the extra $120, I'd say go for the 600... it never hurts to have more wattage as long as you have cabs that can handle it.
    ---
    Chris

3. ollybarclay

ollybarclay

Dec 14, 2005
    if possible go for an ashdown abm rather than a mag, maybe that's personal preference, but hey. had an abm300 toured it and sounded ace as a fairly basic head. did the job fine though.

4. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for My Man Godbey Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2001
    New Orleans, LA USA
    I'm using an Ashdown 600R and I love it. I use it to push
    2 ABM 4-10 cabs 8 ohms each(4 ohm total). It really moves some air.

Jim

5. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    When it comes to amplifier power, I have used V.I. Lenin as a guide.

"Quantity has a quality all it's own".

If you can swing the extra cash for the 600 now, you probably won't be looking for a more powerful head for a while.

My 2 rubles.