Ash/Maple Six String

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by SaintMez, Nov 4, 2011.

1. SaintMez

SaintMez Commercial User

Jan 3, 2010
    Meridian, idaho
    Blood Brothers Guitars - Luthier, Porter Guitars - Contractor
    Hey All!
    I'm beginning to form some ideas for my second build. Just a few thoughts to throw around. I'm interested in doing a double cutaway since my current (and first) build is a single cut. Just want to mix my experiences up a little.

In that regard I'll also be going bolt on with this one and probably a maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard. The body will be Ash and at this stage I'm leaning towards a tinted finish. Not sure of color...but I'm open to suggestions.
    IMG_2106-1.jpg

IMG_2108.jpg

The body is 2 pieces of Ash that came from the same 8/4 board.The blank together is roughly 13 1/2 by 20 inches. At this point it is jointed and the halves sitting on top of one another. Im not sure yet if thats the way I want the grain oriented.
    I may switch it around and see if I like it better that way. I'll work up a full scale drawing and finalize the details after my single cut is finished. Right now I feel like going in a fairly plain direction for this bass. That may change over time. :ninja:

2. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    Ash is the best wood for tinted finishes!

Looking forward to see the evolution of this project :)

3. SaintMez

SaintMez Commercial User

Jan 3, 2010
    Meridian, idaho
    Im thinking this would look great with an orange tinted lacquer or even an aqua blue. Ive seen the ones offerd by LMII and Stewmac. Does anyone have a tint or dye they prefer over either of those?

4. SaintMez

SaintMez Commercial User

Jan 3, 2010
    Meridian, idaho
    image-631745083.png

Hey folks! Just a quickie update. The body has been roughly cut out and glued up. I cut the two halves individually with a band saw first because I found it fairly easy to do it that way on my first build. I have a 14in band saw but it seems to me that it might be more difficult to cut some of those deep curves if it has been glued up before hand. Will be getting some routing on this body done hopefully this weekend after the tryptophan induced coma wears off.

5. SaintMez

SaintMez Commercial User

Jan 3, 2010
    Meridian, idaho
    A little more progress this weekend in between shopping trips and dragging out the Christmas decorations. I routed the edges of the body with an MDF template and a top bearing router bit.

Attached Files:

6. SaintMez

SaintMez Commercial User

Jan 3, 2010
    Meridian, idaho
    Also routed the roundover with a 1/2 bit.
    IMG_2202.jpg
    Then used a scraper to smooth the surface
    IMG_2203.jpg

7. Looking wood! Keep 'em coming

8. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    Great! Looking forward for next steps!

9. Thumpin_P

Thumpin_P

Nov 26, 2006
    Limestone, TN
    nice!

10. SaintMez

SaintMez Commercial User

Jan 3, 2010
    Meridian, idaho
    Thanks Octaedro7, T-34 and Thumpin_P! Im glad you like it so far. Heres the neck blank I put together this weekend. Its a 5 peice maple neck with the grains oriented in opposition to eachother so hopefully it remain straight. Im going to add carbon fiber rods along with the truss for added stability.

IMG_2211.jpg

IMG_2213.jpg

Also the Guyana Rosewood fingerboard. Not sure If I'll use the heartwood or not. Thanks again for watching!

11. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Please use that heartwood.

12. pilotjones

pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    If you're [edit] not [/edit] using the heartwood, you'd better be planning a 1-string bass.

13. SaintMez

SaintMez Commercial User

Jan 3, 2010
    Meridian, idaho
    Heartwood on a fingerboard a bad idea I take it?

14. Thumpin_P

Thumpin_P

Nov 26, 2006
    Limestone, TN
    I have sapwood on mine...I don't know if that is the same.

15. J Lund

J Lund

Aug 6, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    I believe they are opposites. Heartwood, like its name suggests, is the core of the tree. Sapwood is the outer layer of wood beneath the bark. I think the yellow on SaintMez' piece of rosewood is sapwood, not heartwood. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

This project looks like it'll be cool! I love that ash.

16. pilotjones

pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Yeah, that's what I was [del]saying[/del] trying to say. The sapwood is the light part, only an inch wide.

People do mixed heart/sapwood boards all the time with no problems.

[edit]Damn! I forgot the most important word in my previous post. No wonder it didn't make sense! Joke gone wrong. Will correct.[/edit]

17. SaintMez

SaintMez Commercial User

Jan 3, 2010
    Meridian, idaho
    AHHH....I get it! My bad... I meant sapwood...
    You'd be right about the one string though. Maybe Reverendrally could use the sapwood for his kids Muffin Man bass. haha.
    Still unsure if I'll use it for this build. I have a large enough piece of it left over for two or more fingerboards. Resawing it was a pain in the neck though. Its super hard stuff.

18. SaintMez

SaintMez Commercial User

Jan 3, 2010
    Meridian, idaho
    Got some work done today on the fingerboard. Started by planing it to a thickness closer it's final size. Then cut its width on the table saw. Opted to use only the heartwood this time. The sapwood wasnt a wide enough portion of the board and after tapering would have left only a quarter inch strip of it towards the nut. Just wouldn't have looked quite right to me. Fret slotting was done with stewmac 35in scale template and their fretsaw and miter box which I altered slightly with a wider base plate to accommodate the width of this fingerboard. It's 4 inches wide at this point. Waiting for the truss rod and cf rods to get here. Probably won't get to install those till next weekend. My work gets ridiculous
    in December. No complaining here though. I'm thankful to have a job and the OT takes the sting out of the long days.

Attached Files:

19. vintager

vintager

Jan 29, 2005
    Slovakia
    thats ok, even if you can't find the time to work on it, the wood ages and will sound better. at least this is what i usually tell to myself.

20. SaintMez

SaintMez Commercial User

Jan 3, 2010
    Meridian, idaho
    Hey all,
    It's been a while but I'm still plugging away at this second build. I've done most of the routing except for the neck pocket which will come as soon as I'm done rough shaping the neck heel . I will probably finalize the heel shape once the neck pocket is done. Have yet to inlay the MOP dots but that's next then I'll break out the rasp and go to town on the thing. Going in a different order for this neck than I did for my first and it's been much easier. The color is settled as well. I'm going with a red orange dye. Should look pretty nice.

Attached Files:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021