Ash Trays...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Osama_Spears, Sep 30, 2003.

1. I have a question about pick-up covers(not the ones that are exactly on the pick-up,but the silver ones,like what alot of vintage fenders have.

My question is does it change the sound of the bass at all? like is the sound more "full" or whatever? Or is it just for looks?

Thank you...
  2. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    looks only

i think they only look good on a fender and when they have the signature F on it, but thats just my opinion
  3. The theory is that the chrome cover(s) create a magnetic field between the pickup poles and the cover. Does it affect the sound to remove them, NO,it's not audible to the human ear. If you scope the bass and read the wave form yes it's apparent.

I remove the front cover near the neck on all my Fender basses, they get in my way when I play!

;) Treena

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The covers also shield the pickups. I remove the bridge cover, and leave the neck cover on. Bridge gets in my way;) I like playing over the bridge pickup for a Jaco like tone, and I like the neck cover when I slap.
  5. Thanks for the quick replies!

I think they look cool...but I'm afraid Ima get one for a Jazz I plan on getting,and then it get in the way when I am playing:meh:
  6. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I've got the covers(neck and bridge) on my P and prefer it for when I'm playing Steve Harris style galloping basslines. I bridge my thumb and pinky across them and use my other 3 fingers to gallop.
  7. They sure look damn cool on a vintage-style Fender or Fender copy, but consider the fact they'll get in the way of your playing.

Since my right hand is all over the place (from near the bridge to the end of the fretboard), I don't like them very much...
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The P Bass bridge ashtray doesn't have the F. Only the Jazz had that.
  9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The covers are not magnetic, and in order to shield they'd have to be grounded - they're not.
  10. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Right. The magnetic field is already there from the pole pieces. I think they were there to keep crap out of the pickups and the bridge. There was also that space age design thing going in the fifties and sixties and I think they are a result of that.
  11. Actually I'm pretty sure that theyre for resting your palm on them so that you can play with your thumb, as most bassplayers did when the bass guitar was still a novelty.