ash trays

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmonkey144, Oct 28, 2003.

1. can you add vintage ash trays to basses that dont have screw goles for them? if so, how can you?
  2. You can add holes, no biggie...unless you dont want to have holes there if you deside to take them off, then, I dont know what to tell you...
  3. just drill holes? thats easy. thanks
  4. Yes, you can. Most drill through the pick guard, but I'm thinking you don't have a pick guard.

So you would need a template to get the holes to line up properly.

Use a drill press too!

5. and where would i find a template? dril presses i have, but a template would be very handy. o yea, i do have a pick guard
    thanks for the advice:D
  6. I'm not saying to not use a template but as a last resort You could just do with out it, my dad did that and it turned out fine, just take you time and look at them and make sure they're straight.

7. thanks for all the help! yay vintage basses!
  8. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I just eyeballed them into position
  9. Corwin, that's a P bass cover you have on the jazz pickup?

Why not the Jazz covers?

10. notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    i believe that is a p/j pickup config, so he put a p cover on the p.
  11. Yes, I play a Jazz special.....sometimes and it has the P pup in the front as well.

I like mine with out the covers though and I was just curious of his choice.....:rolleyes:

12. nope, no pre drilled holes, im adding one on to a regular essex p-bass
  13. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I used the P bridge cover so I'll have space to play in there. sometimes I use the jazz pickup as a thumbrest, sometimes the P pickup cover, or I anchor my thumb on the pickup cover and pinky on the bridge cover when I'm galloping with the other 3 fingers.
  14. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I just picked up a pick up cover on eBay for my Jazz Bass Plus. I think that will look hip with my Jazz.

I hear that you can get a cow-bell-like sound out of it for the intro to Honky Tonk... Thx Uncle Will for that tid bit.
  15. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    if I stand up to a mic and slap the bridge or pickup cover, it sounds like a cowbell. I do that during one of our new songs that sounds like it could use a cowbell if it were a bit more rockin', but it's mellow so the drummer just plays a rim click
  16. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    what about double sided sticky tape if you don't want to drill holes? I have heard of people attaching pickguards with that.
  17. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    The double sided tape is a good solution to see if you like the covers but not a good permanent solution.
  18. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    Im confused. Do you mean like drilling holes to put something to rest your thumb or hand on.
    If so, normally around the pickguard you have screws. My teacher got some plastic and bent it to the shape of the top of the pickguard. Then added it to the pickguard.
  19. no dude, ash trays are big chrometastic pieces of metal that are curved and cover the bridge entirely, and also the pickups with a seperate peice. very vintage lookin
    im thinkin ill just pre drill some holes, and put them in. luckily, i kno how to use i drill press:p