1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ash vs Alder Am Dlx Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Frankjohnson, Mar 3, 2008.

1. I have a chance to buy a leftover American Deluxe P Bass in Ash, with the Cherry Sunburst finish. As new, it is just under $1200 (with new strings) to me for a short period. the Shop noticed that it is discontinued and that new ones in Alder, or the standard Sunburst are more now and has upped the price to reflect.

I am also considering a HH Stingray just over $1200 with strap and new strings. (different shop)

I think they are comparable, matched league-wise.

Back to my question - Is the ash going to make the P Bass that much more desireable? Punch/tone, appearance, etc.?

2. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I like ash for bass but not sure how much difference it actually makes. I know with Ernie Ball, the transparent finished basses are almost always exclusively made of ash but the solid color basses may be made of alder.

The biggest question is do you want a Precision of a Stingray. I have a Stingray but still jones for a P-bass!

3. good question.

They have a lot of crossover range in sound - these two....not the standard P bass...but this deluxe with Active pups and a HB in the Bridge.

It talks to me, but so does the Stingray.

Tough terrain to negotiate.

4. bassblast

bassblast

Feb 25, 2008
    NY/NJ
    I find the alder is a little mellower and the ash is more of a modern sound.

5. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    I feel your pain. I just ordered a P to go with my StingRay. Or whatever. I ordered it because it sounds like a P and I'm keeping my StingRay because it sounds like a 'Ray.

Back to your question: I would buy the ash P bass. I think ash looks SUPER SEXY, and it should add a small amount of mid-highs to the sound of the P. Plus it might appreciate more due to rareness, if you're interested in that type of thing (I'm not).

Usual disclaimers: This is just my opinion, IMHO, YMMV, etc.

6. I rolled the dice.....got the P - was leaning that way anyway.....

But that was a nice stingray!

P1010079.

P1010083.

P1010085.

P1010089.

7. collicsws6z28

collicsws6z28

Jan 29, 2007
    that color is gorgeous

8. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    What pretty piece(s) of wood! I don't even see the joint.