Ash vs Alder Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DEFUNKTED, Oct 24, 2006.

1. DEFUNKTED

DEFUNKTED

May 4, 2006
    Dope City
    So who likes what wood on their Fender P-bass?

I love my Fender ash/maple 70's reissue as it roars, Wetton style, with roundwounds...

Been thinking of getting a alder/rosewood P-bass with flats for
    my alternate bass but think I will get another ash/rosewood instead...

Ash all the way for me!

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

A nice piece of ash looks great under a 3 tone sunburst.

3. DEFUNKTED

DEFUNKTED

May 4, 2006
    Dope City
    No doubt, this is the bass I'm thinking of next:

[​IMG]

4. I'm a Ric player with a Squire P-bass, but I want to get rid of my MIM J bass and get an ash/maple P-bass when my hand heals, as I have become a relatively new fan of John Wetton.:)

5. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Got an alder MIA P with rounds on it. Tone to die for.

Love me some Wetton too. Woefully overlooked....

6. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    If you want that 60's Funk/Soul/Blues thump then only choice is Alder with Rosewood fretboard and nice set of flatwounds.

7. cabcreaser

cabcreaser Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    I have a Custom Shop '59 with an ash body and rosewood board. It's strung with the Labella Jamerson set and I could not be happier with the tone.

8. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    I think mine is alder, I don't really know/care though ('97 American Standard). It's sunburst and has flats, everything else is inconsequential. :)
    Not by me he isn't. :D

9. Shelly

Shelly

Jul 12, 2006
    Brighton, Michigan
    +1. I'm sitting here playing my '62 RI...alder body/rosewood fretboard, strung with Thomastik-Infeld (TI) flats. I've only played this bass occasionally since buying it 2 years ago because I'm primarily a 5-or 6-string roundwound kind of girl. :) However, I've gotten back to playing the p-bass for the last few days and I am loving the acoustic sound...I haven't even plugged it in yet! The flatwounds take some getting used to, but once you hit the rhythm on them, you'll know it. :bassist:

10. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    To be honest, I don't even know what body wodd my P is. I think it is alder maple... Sounds like THE END.

11. Tom Howland

Tom Howland Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I've played and owned, both Ash and Alder P-basses.

Ash tends to be more inconsistent in tone.
    Due to it's varied weight, and grain.
    A good light Ash body will sound nice.

Alder tends to be more even sounding.
    And lighter in weight.

That said, a nice Ash body, with a maple fingerboard, and roundwound strings is great.

Alder body, with rosewood fingerboard, and flatwound string
    kills too.

You must have both.
    That's what I tell my wife?

HappyFunTime69 likes this.
  12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Inconsistency is an excellent point: due to the inconsistency of wood you never really know what tone a bass has until you hear it yourself. But *generally* speaking alder is rounder in the low mids, swamp ash can be snappier in the highs and high mids, etc.

13. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I have a 77 Pbass in Ash that is the lightest 77 I've ever played. It's my favorite Pbass soundwise as well. I got lucky when I bought it, I had no idea what to look for back then.

wraub and Jinglesmeowmeow like this.
  14. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    I'm a big ash fan so I chose that on my 57 reissue..

[​IMG]

KILLER tone!! However, I am planning on getting a MIA Jazz with the Alder / Rosewood combo as well..

Best of both worlds... ;)

15. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    i've owned many a p-bass.

my 77 (alder/rosewood) i own currently, the 78 (ash/maple) i used to have, and the Steve Harris sig i have (alder/maple) all sound completely different, weigh different and even the necks are different from felling like a 'C' to a 'U'.

I find this to be true of most basses @mid-80's (especally in the 70s) and older. each bass has a personality (jazz basses too) some are very brite and others mellow. that pino p-bass is the only one i've played of late that really nails the 60s p-bass tone, i wish i weren't so $$$.

i do think that many basses from the 90s onward sound more consitant from bass to bass. ash to me sounds a bit briter and combined with a maple fretboard they can cop an almost zippy jazz bass sound.

i actually favor ash/maple.

16. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I do own both type of P's; alder/rosewood and ash/maple.
    For me the alder wins. Both my P's are the epitome of what their woods should sound like....
    The '72 alder body rosewood board is feather weight, has the smooth thump, very resonant, and the tone blossoms, the Motown sound.
    My '82 ash body maple board is heavyweight, very midrangey and is all attack and sustain not as blossomy, the punkrock sound.

17. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    I just sold a 05 MM Fender FSR ash bodied P bass that weighed in at about 7 3/4 lbs ... nice bass ...

18. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite!

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    Nothing better than a nice piece of ASH! :bag:

But, both my P-Basses are Alder...

19. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador

Your Harris Signature is actually Basswood/Maple not Alder. So you actually got all the 3 different woods you can find on a good P-Bass

20. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I would love to have a Northern Ash Slab body P-Bass

Would weight a ton, but I bet the tone would be thick and solid.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021