Ashbory a solution for a bad shoulder?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hiway61, Jan 13, 2002.

1. Hiway61

Nov 24, 2001
    SE Pennsylvania
    I injured my left shoulder (rotator cuff) last week and, in addition to the pain, I am experiencing some range of motion limitations. I can only get my left hand up to about the fifth fret on my J. My experience with orthopedic stuff is that it takes a long time to heal and eventually returns. I always thought the Ashbory would be a nice addition to my supply of toys -- especially as a travel companion. This injury may give me the excuse to buy one. My question for you Ashbory users is -- Can this bass be played with the left elbow against the side of your body? Before I try to track one of these things down to try it, I'd like to know that I will be able to play it with my current range of motion limits. Thanks for your help.
  2. I am sure you could but the Ashbory is not really a "Bass" bass. The strings are rubber, scale is ultra small, the fret marks are usually off, they don't stay in tune very well.

Good luck with you shoulder.
    Would sitting and playing help?
  3. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Yes, you can play it with your left arm against your body. Mine stays in tune fairly well... I've heard this before, but haven't really experienced it. Played it for a bit at this weekend's gig with no problems. It doesn't lend itself well to being the only bass at a gig, (unless you're playing mellower, coffeehouse type stuff, IMO), but for practicing alone it's great...