Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ASHBORY! ASHBORY! ASHBORY!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by coolet5, Feb 12, 2003.

1. coolet5

coolet5

Feb 12, 2003
    I`m looking to buy an asbory bass but i would like to try it and hear it before.
    Do you know of some recording made with it?
    Where can I find the bass in new york city area? :confused:

2. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Shillington
    I just tried one of these things last night for the first time... in fact i had to borrow it... it looks absolutely ridiculous, like some kind of toy...but when you plug it in the sound is huge... i was jammin with my bluegrass buds thru a little 10" combo and the sound was way bigger than my upright. you feel sort of silly playin the thing and the fingering is microscopic but its a ton of fun. im gonna take it out on the gig tonite and surprise everyone. theres a few on ebay now.. they seem to go between 2 and 3 hundred...dont know where you could hear one ...i know there used on recordings especially in bluegrass and country music..do a google search there's lots of stuff about them..maybe youll find some clips

3. coolet5

coolet5

Feb 12, 2003
    thanks man.
    I really want to try this thing I just need something more portable than my upright.

4. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Shillington
    portable's a bit of an understatement...you could clip this thing on your belt like a phone:bassist:

5. Amethska

Amethska

Jan 27, 2003
    NJ, USA
    Holy jebus, I'd feel silly playing that thing too. It's looks like a toy.. it's this big! *shows distance between fingers*

Yeah... hehe, it's interesting though.

6. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I borrowed one time at played it with my praise and worship band. It was incredibly hard to play in tune. It's fretless,a nd the frets seem like they are just millimeters apart from each other.
    It has a great upright tone, but it cuts though the mix like an upright too.

Mark

7. jburtonca

jburtonca

Nov 25, 2000
    Ottawa, Canada
    The best recorded example of the Ashbory that I can think of is "Lovetown" by Peter Gabriel. Tony Levin is playing it and the sound is very upfront.

Jeff

8. LeeP

LeeP

Aug 22, 2002
    Frankfort, KY
    I got one of these cuties a while ago, (scratch & dent from Musician's Friend) thinking I'd use it for jazz gigs. Loved the sound, had to get used to the neck size - but amazing big sound for such a small instrument. I also found out you have to keep some baby powder on hand to be able to move around easily on the strings.

Unfortunately, I'm rarely playing jazz gigs anymore so there it sits in the bag. I'm thinking of selling it to get some scratch for a little Oxygen 8 midi controller for my computer (mini bass for a mini keyboard).

9. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Eventually, I'll get one of thesee things, too, as I have so many DeArmond whatnots anyway that not having an Ashbory is a real omission.:D

One problem: I have read many complaints of the strings breaking on the bass while in storage. Presumably slackening them off when not in use will help, but the Fender/DeArmond Ashbory strings are not common and having to buy a new set every time the G breaks in the gigbag can get annoying and pricey quick.

10. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    "The ConstruKCtion of Light" by King Crimson.

On the subject, where is the cheapest place to buy Ashbory strings?

11. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    The last I heard, MF had them for about $12 a set but it looks like they've gone up.

Fender claims that they will keep manufacturing them.

We'll see.

12. LeeP

LeeP

Aug 22, 2002
    Frankfort, KY
    Happened to me. I hadn't even looked in the bag for months, and when I got it out to clean up for sale, the E string was broken. I've seen strings on ebay for around 10 bucks or $15 on MF.

13. I know that Tony Levin used one on the Philadelphia soundtrack - that would be Peter Gabriel's "Lovetown" on that album.

Ironically, TL's Ashbory got destroyed in a fire, along with the bass he used to record "Sledgehammer" :bawl:

14. He must have gotten another one...

http://64.70.169.48/pbfire.htm

15. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I've also got an ashbory. Was the first bass that i bought w/my own money [my dad bought me my first, a fender mim jazz]. I like it for when the upright sound is needed but the room isn't available. I ordered it locally. For strings-MF i get em for $15 a set, haven't ordered a set in a year or so as i bought i think 3 sets @ a time for a few months just in case, and after i checked my supplies a few days ago it looks like i could use a few more. If a string breaks while it's in its case i try to just retie the knot [if there is enough string] and put it back on. Thats all

16. He sure does! :bassist:

17. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    check ebay... :bassist:

18. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    There is a seller on ebay... musicpawn I believe, that had strings for $10.50... Hey Big Joe... how's that Ashbory treating you??

-robert

19. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    it really took some getting used to the scale and remembering to bring talcum with me everywhere... but well worth the time! great tone from that little guy! :D

and my drummer is addicted to it too actually. :eek:

EDIT: my god i can't spell! i have to go to bed... :meh:

20. coolet5

coolet5

Feb 12, 2003
    ok i found it and tried it, the sound is very nice and i found the best way to play is to remeber not to open your left hand... but:
    1)The E string pops out sometimes what is the best way to stop it from doing it?
    2)Is it a relaible instrument? can i count on it if i`m giging with it? i mean lots of you said it takes time for the strings to get in tune and that they brake while in the case.
    does somebody here giging with it and can tell me how is it?
    thanks in advance :confused: