Ashbory balance bar

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by eli, Feb 23, 2001.

1. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Finally wote out a description of my "Rick Turner Custom Ashbory balance bar" so I thought I'd post it iin case anyone's still interested.

The bar is 1" wide and 1/4" thick. It actually feels like it's made of aluminum. It's 7-7/8" long, and the three holes are drilled at 7/16", 3-1/4", and 7-7/16" from one end. All of the corners are rounded for comfort. The side of the bar that contacts the bass is covered with a thin green felt except at the 7/16" hole end. All of the holes are the same size -- I'm guessing 3/16".

The hole at 3-1/4" goes where the neck base strap button was, and the hole at 7-7/8" goes over the back cover. The hole at 7/16" gets the strap button. This hole is actually threaded, but you could certainly use a nut to attach the strap button if you don't have a tapping tool.
    You will have to drill a new hole in the back cover. Mark it by screwing the 3-1/4" hole into the old strap button hole and aligning the bar parallel with the neck. The new hole winds up pretty close to the midpoint of the three back cover screws closest to the neck. Of course you'll need a nut & screw for this new hole. The screw must have a threaded length of 5/8" to keep from stabbing you. Remove the cover and thread the screw through the cover from the inside of the cover, then through the 7-7/16" hole. Thread the nut on just until it catches, because this end of the bar won't actually lie flat on the cover. Replace the cover, then screw the 3-1/4" hole into the old strap button hole. Gently tighten the nut over the cover until it just pulls up snug -- you don't want to crank this one or the cover will crack. Attach the strap button at the 7/16" hole, and you're ready to play!